My new whip.. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good man..
    Last edited by tireboy; 08-20-2012, 01:37 AM. Reason: oppss had a brain fart..

Comment

non adjustable TPS and no coolant to the IAC? Awesome! Keep the differences coming lol
      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
        non adjustable TPS and no coolant to the IAC? Awesome! Keep the differences coming lol
        Early mazda's (this is the same for most mazda's not just the KLDE) ran a dual valve set up for controlling idle... Coolant temps controlled 1 valve.. This is used for cold start up/higher idle.. As the car warms up this valve would close... The second valve was a pcm controlled idle up valve.. The pcm used this valve only to adjust the idle when needed to compensate for heavier engine loads at idle.. for example if your AC was turning on and off at idle or your cooling fan kicked in.. Base idle is set by adjusting the throttle stop when the motor is warm and in diagnostics mode... On the earlier mazda's with this design you can leave the electrical valve disconnected.. So long as you have no accessories running the car will idle perfectly fine.. The only thing you notice with it disconnected is when the fan kicks in/you turn wheel at idle/ ac kicks on ect, the motors idle will dip lower due to the extra load... The TPS on earlier mazda's had 4 wires and were adjustable so that you could set the idle switch.. 3 of the wires are a normal tps and function as such.. The 4th wire goes to an idle switch that tells the computer when the throttle is closed and it should be doing its job to control idle..

On the KLG4 all idle functions are controlled by the PCM.... The IAC valve does everything to control idle... I haven't checked but experience tells me its most likely duty cycle controlled.. The computer will increase the duty cycle in order to raise the idle... The tps is a 3 wire and no longer adjustable since there is no idle switch.. All though you can adjust the throttle stop screw on the throttle body you should never need to do this... Base idle and everything should be done threw the iac valve...

Comment

So how's the progress on the wiring? Are you planning on making one of those patch harnesses that incorporate the ECU plug ends? here's a generic pic, idk if I'm using the proper terminology lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skunk2_OBD2B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1233391
          -Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
            So how's the progress on the wiring? Are you planning on making one of those patch harnesses that incorporate the ECU plug ends? here's a generic pic, idk if I'm using the proper terminology lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56392[/ATTACH]
            I wont be doing anything like that... There are to many differences between the KLG4 and KLDE for the engine bay harness that I have installed right now to work... I have to change out the engine harness to the one for the KLG4... While I am doing that I'll be swapping out my body harness for the one I saved from my gf's old mx3... Some how I have to figure out how mate the 99 626 engine harness to the 94 mx3 body harness... The one part I haven't figured out yet is what engine bay fuse/relay box I am going to use yet....

The harness is coming along, a lot of research and looking at wiring diagrams right now, comparing the two... The way I am doing things it'll be a very time consuming process but I hope at the end of the day it'll work turn key as factory as possible... The last time I did this kind of thing was in my old 90 Cavalier... I swapped out the 140hp V6 for a 180hp HO quad 4... I had 2 full days into the harness making it work...

Comment

awesome, sounds like you're well on your way to accomplishing your goal then lol
              -Jack

Comment

coming along! best of luck with the wiring. thats never a fun part.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

The fun continued this weekend... I had my little helper give me a hand tear the wiring harness out of the car... It makes for really slow going when your helper is 5 years old and wants to do everything him self, but the time spent together is priceless...

Here is how the car sits now... I just have the fuel pump and tail light harness left to remove...

My little helper...

Just wouldn't be right if I didn't get pictures of him stuck in the engine bay.. haha

This was a pretty interesting to see when I pulled up the carpet.. It looks a lot worse under the carpet then it ever did when I looked at it under the car... This is one of the spots where the body got damaged from me going off the road during the 2010 Totem TSD rally...

Comment

wee bit of floor pan damage!!! At least its not rotted through tho
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Yeah I Am glad there isn't really an rot yet.. All though the body is staring to show signs... I was hoping to paint the car this winter, but I think that might have to wait till next summer now... As for the body damage, I am not going to do much to fix it... I suspect I'll be adding more to it later on...

I finished getting the rest of the harness out tonight.. I started laying everything out and had a little bit of an "oh **** what did I get my self into" moment... On a happy note though I managed to find all the wiring for my rear wiper/rear defrost and rear 3rd brake light is all intact.. I was really happy to find this since I plan to make it all work again... The previous owner had just cut the wiring harness and left it all hanging in the back of the car...

Here's a pic of the new harness laid out on my living room floor.. I am starting to strip it all down and trim the fat off it..

Removing what I don't need has started... ABS module and wiring is now gone..

Updates should be flowing pretty quickly now.. I have set a 2 week dead line to get this car back together and running..

Comment

wow awesome man, all the luck!!!
                        -Jack

Comment

day 3... My back and knees are killing me from being on the floor hunched over working on trimming the fat from the body harness... I think I have about 90% of what I want removed gone though... I have about 6 hours into the harness work so far...

Here's my garbage pile..

Comment

nice pile!!

Comment

No pics but the fun continues... Rob and I made and early morning run to the junk yard today.. I picked up a bunch bits and pieces I needed to finish off my interior properly... I also scrapped the idea of using the mx3 tail light harness, so I got a 323 tail light harness while I was there.. This way I would have less splicing to do, and my rear defrost/wiper and 3rd brake light wiring was easier to run... I also picked up a 3.1L V6 cavalier rad and over flow tank.. I am going to try switching my cooling system over to a closed system and hopefully get the larger V6 rad to fit... This should fix my over heating problem during lapping days at the track...

Tonight after the junk yard trip I got to work on the rear harness.. I have everything spliced together/taped back up and installed up to the fuse box... Tomorrow hopefully I can get the rest of the harness finished for the most part so that I can start installing the motor and transmission..

Comment

My brain hurts... I have been ripping apart/comparing both engine harnesses and trying to make the 626 harness work with the stock mx3 harness... So far its coming along slowly..

Couple of hurdles I have to over come.... I need to get the small sub harness off the parts car I got the main 626 harness from.. I found out today the small sub harness that came with the motor I bought doesn't match up.. From looking at wiring diagrams I have figure out the motor I have came from a 2001 626... The wiring harness and ECU I got was from a 99... The O2 wiring is run differently, and the 2 connectors that go from the little sub harness to the main harness are different...

Tac signal... This one is going to be interesting.. The 98+ 626's instrument cluster takes its tac signal from the PCM threw a data buss connection...The micro processor in the instrument cluster reads this data and works the tac... The mx3 cluster gets its tac signal the old fasion way off the distributer...There is no way to make these 2 signals work... I have an idea that might work, but I wont know untill I try it... If I am successful I will post up the details....

The car/my garage everything looks like a bomb has gone off right now once I get it a little more cleaned up I'll take some pictures..

Comment

Working...
                                X