No announcement yet.

My new whip.. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last but not least.. Test fitting the new Konig rims and Hoosier tires.. I think the car looks pretty sexy with its new shoes..

Comment

Some interesting specs on the tires...

The Hoosier A6's new weigh in at 18lbs... The tread is supposed to measure out at 8" wide..

The Kumo V710's new weight in at 21lbs... The tread is supposed to measure out at 9" wide..

The hoosiers are almost brand new.. That would make the rims around 13lbs.. I'll weight them out one day when I change tires over to see for sure what they weigh in at..

The Kumo's I have are almost worn out.. that makes the rims about 15 - 16lbs... Thats not to bad for an OEM 14 rim..

Comment

Adam ... looks like that combo of 205/50/15 Hoosiers will be right up my alley when I get some $$ for next years season.

But on your car how does the rub issue look ???? especially the front fender lips
        Last edited by 323Permin; 09-20-2013, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Its close.. More so because of the off set on the rims, the wider front track width.. but over all its not bad...

I think you should buy my old 14's and Kumos for next year.. We all ready know they fit on your car..

Comment

very interesting info there. stoked to see more updates this next year
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
              very interesting info there. stoked to see more updates this next year
              Thanks Ryan.. There wont be to much more to update until next summer.. Unfortunately the last VCMC autocross event was a very wet event.. I woke up at 6am to find it raining heavily... At that point I knew I wouldn't get to run the new hoosiers, so I decided to go back to bed... In the next couple of weeks all the stock suspension is going back in the car and she will be prepped for winter...

Comment

shouldda come to the meet! pshh. we are gonna be organizing maybe one more for 2013, ill keep you posted

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Yeah keep me posted Bo.. Maybe you guys can have it a little more north so its not a 4h+ drive... :p

I finally got a chance to test out the Hoosiers... I was supposed to be setting the car up for winter this weekend, but a UBC autocross event just so happen to take place on saterday.. With the sun shining all weekend I could resist... The car did really well.. I ended up placing 2nd over all in RAW time and 2nd over all in PAX time...

Here is a shot of the car in action with the new rims/tires..

With the nice weather and long weekend I also took the opportunity to get a little off road action in... I haven't had my Jeep off road since last year.. It felt good to get it out... This trail is actually pretty ridiculous... Here is a little picture of some 3 wheeling action..

Last edited by crazycanadian; 10-15-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Well there hasn't been much to update over the winter... Just some maintenance related stuff mainly...

Had my son help me take the head liner out of the car.. It had come unglued and was hanging down in the back..

I managed to peel it apart and re-glue it back together...

I also scored a good deal on some new shoes for the car... 205/50/15 Dunlop ZII... They only had 2,000 km on them.. The guys selling them decided to switch to Toyo R1R's...

Last but not least I scored a really good deal on a new daily driver... My new 88 Mazda 323 GTX... Feels great to be back in the BF world and have a GTX again.. She needs some tlc but over all she is in good shape... She only has 80,000km on her and she is 100% bone stock, unmolested... The only plan I have is to do the maintenance work and then driver her..

Comment

Well I have been keeping this under wraps for a while... I was hoping to wait until the new toys arrived but its just to exciting to keep wrapped up..

I borrowed a friends set of rims and tires for test fitting a while ago..

Oh there will be cutting involved..

Flairs will be made...

A 15mm spacer is needed..

Tight clearances to the control arm and tie rod at full lock as well..

The 275's look pretty massive when put next to my 205 dunlops..

At the end of the day 6UL's in a 15x10 are few and far between... So Rob and I found an appropriate substitute.. We have on order some 15x10 Jongbloeds for the front and 15x8's for the rear... They are only about 1lbs heavier then the 6UL's and around the same price.... We are wrapping them in 275 hoosier A6's in the front and 225's in the rear... The rims are estimated to arrive this month.. Hopefully they do so that we have sometime in june to cut the fenders and breaking in the new set up at a couple events before we head to National Tour in Packwood July 4th weekend...

A preview picture of the rims...
                      Last edited by crazycanadian; 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

id love to have some 275's on the front. I think 245's in normal tread will suffice tho
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well some good news... Some bad news...

First the good news.. The car got some new brakes today... Hawk HP plus pads up front, Portfield R4-S in the rear.. Some Goodrich stainless lines and new rotors...Also the brakes fluid was flushed out.. A good note to remember... Check your brake fluid regularly... I had flushed mine out about 3 years ago with ATE super blue.. When I tested it today, the moisture content was over 4% but the fluid still looked new...

Ok now on to the bad news.. The rims Rob and I have on order still haven't arrived.. Rob has been in touch with the guys supplying them and they have no news from the manufacture on when they will arrive.. At this point I think Rob and I are going with our back up plan.. Order up some new 225 Hoosiers and run them on the rims I already have..

Comment

Great picture of the car from the last event...

Comment

Well the new 225 Hoosiers came in earlier last month. They arrived just in time for me get them installed and test fitted before the June 1st event. This event went really well, Both Rob and I can see why they call Hoosiers purple crack. The grip levels were amazing with new fresh rubber on the car.

The course was pretty difficult to drive, both my self and my codriver struggled the whole day. It was still promising though as we finished 13th over all in pax, out of 86 drivers. The class I run in has some tuff competition though. I finished 5th in the class.

The new hoosiers were great to get a better judge of tire wear and suspension set up. Tire temps were pretty even across the face of the tire, but we noticed some excessive wear on inner half of the tread. After talking with some locals it looked like I might still be running to much castor, or I have a dynamic toe change problem.

For the next event, I took all the castor and camber out of my upper strut mount. Removing the camber from the upper strut mount reduces my SAI, changes my scrub radius, and also changes how my toe changes while the car is rolling over.

So now I went from 4.75 deg castor, down to 3 deg. For camber I used the adjustment in the lower strut mount and maxed it out at -3 deg.

We also discovered that the rear didn't have enough camber in it. only half the tire was really being used. So I maxed out the rear adjustment at 2.5 deg.

Comment

This bring us to last event I ran. With the new alignment set up the steering on the car felt lighter with the reduced castor. Turn in didn't quiet feel as sharp. The car still performed great. We had 1 hic-up. My codriver blew up the passenger outter CV axle on his 3rd run during our morning heat.

My codriver and I took his car, drove an hour and a half round trip to my place. We picked up my spare axle, and some tools to change it out at the pad. Once we got to the pad we set out to change the axle. We were almost defeated by the axle nut after breaking my co-drivers breaker bar and twisting the head on mine. Borrowing an electric impact was enough to get the nut to crack loose and were in business. We managed to get the axle changed out in time to make our afternoon run group.

During the afternoon run group I set my best time of the day. This was good enough to take 8th place pax out of 98 drivers. The kick in the nuts. It was only good enough for 5th place in my class. Talk about tough competition.

At the end of the day I had one of our local guru's look at my tires. The wear seemed nice and even cross the face of the tire, but the car seems like its chewing threw front tires fast. I was complimented on how the set up of the car was wearing the tires, and told that how fast they are wearing was normal. This is a bummer at $1300 for a set of tires it looks like they will be corded with in 60 - 70 runs. This includes rotating them every event. Not sure I am going to be able to keep running this car with the cost of tires.

I was talking a lot about set up with our local guru. At 15 deg SAI angle he figures its still to high. We also talked about castor and reintroducing it after I reduce the SAI. This might help the car more with front end grip. To get the SAI down more, I might switch back to the stock 323 control arms. They are about half an inch narrower then the Mx3 ones I am using now. We will see what happens. This will be something to look at for next year.

couple fun pictures from the last event.

Yah car passed tech

Thumbs up car is fixed

This was my fastest run of the day. It was a very high speed course very fun to drive, but extremely tricky to get right.

Comment

Working...
                                X