No announcement yet.

1992 LX rebuild and future Infini conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I didn't quite find an answer in the thread, but did you already find/buy a power-steering tank and a radiator?

ps: looking good!
    Originally posted by 90prtege
    have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
    Originally posted by Turpro
    Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
    CRZbrussian: that sux
    CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
    CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

We're plugging the auto trans cooling lines in the auto radiator that's in the 94 and using that. The power steering reservoir in the 94 is still good, so he didn't need to source another one.
      Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

oh ok sweet, didn't realize there was a donor car too, sorry. well if you want a shortshifter or something of the likes, just troll my f/s thread :-D
        Originally posted by 90prtege
        have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
        Originally posted by Turpro
        Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
        CRZbrussian: that sux
        CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
        CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by atomicEGT View Post
          muddy water? y'all must be on drugs :D

would you mind taking pictures of this? I don't have a manual ignition handy, and I've been trying to figure out exactly what to do with this part of the swap...
          Ok, sorry I'm posting late, me and Kaleo burned some midnight oil getting the manual trans, mounts, subframe, and linkage all hooked up.

So basically, there is a cable that connects up underneath the console of the shifter that goes up underneath the carpet to behind the console of the climate controls, to behind the dash and finally up to the steering column to the ignition switch. On top of the ignition switch (after removing all the plastics around the steering column) you'll see a white plastic cover held in by two screws to a metal plate held in by 3 small screws to the top of the ignition switch. If you press on the piston of the cable at the shifter (or shift from park to drive) you'll see that it causes a sliding action to beneath the plate. This causes a small metal spring and piston to slide into the ignition switch allowing the car to be started when in park or neutral.

The Manual ignition has NONE of this crap I just described above. Instead there is a black rubber plug where the metal piston and spring was located underneath the plate. I believe this rubber plug simulates the piston being pushed down at all times, so that you can start the car in any gear as long as the clutch is depressed via the clutch pedal sensor on the clutch pedal. Since I had already removed all of this equipment you'll just have to use your imagination with the pictures below.

1992 Mazda Protege DX Manual - 5/30/2006 R.I.P
          1992 Mazda Protege LX former Manual - 2/2/2010 Parts Donor
          1994 Mazda Protege LX Manual swap Daily Driver W.I.P.

Comment

cool, thanks for the explanation
            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Edited first post with updated goals and project list. Almost done with the manual swap, all that's left is the dash harness (since the clutch pedal sensors don't exist on the auto dash harness and the trans pigtails are completely different), swap the O2 sensor, install g series axles, spindles, tires, clutch pedal assembly, top up fluids, and bleed lines.

Not that much left, but will still take time which always seems to fly by faster than it should lol.

Comment

Yesterday we installed the SS braided CS clutch line, all around SS braided Goodridge brake lines, added gear oil, installed speedo cable, swapped the front brake pads, installed g series axles, axle seals, and put the knuckles back together.

Tomorrow all that's left is to swap in the rear brake pads, bleed the clutch line, bleed the brake lines, torque up the axle nuts, top up the motor oil, and give it a test drive. If there's time I'll install the the top motor mount poly insert and delete the cruise control and CC button (making room for the edm leveling switch).

We scrapped swapping the dash harness. The clutch pedal sensor I believe only restricts starting the car when the clutch is depressed, which I don't find important (convenient even). Also I was told that the pigtail coming from the bottom of the trans is the reverse gear sensor that turns the reverse lights on when engaged, and I'll try to find a way to rig it up to the auto harness.

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>.
                Crap just looked it up, apparently it's not a reverse gear sensor, it's actual the neutral bypass? I looked up these pics:http://www.atlantamx3.com/BPswap/neutralbypass/

But it doesn't show any pictures of the switch that comes from the tranny. Does the tranny pigtail have to be connected up, or can it be left dangling?

Doube EDIT>>>>>>
                Ack, nevermind, I think I found me answer, hopefully everything works haha.
                Last edited by AtmaEdge; 03-31-2011, 05:45 AM.

Comment

The Car is off the jacks and finally running on the standard 5 speed transmission!

Next week I'm going to be installing the 4 wire TPS, Kia fuel injectors, and possibly the B-code VAF donated by KaleoXtreme. I'll also seafoam and put some new RP oil, RP filter, radiator flush, and water wetter.

The 3 wire TPS from the 5 speed is really noticeable in the way the power engages when feathering the throttle, kinda jerky. It's been a year and 2 months since I last drove a manual BG so I'm not sure if it was always like this, but after driving an auto for so long I find it annoying. I'm hoping the 4 wire will make throttling a little smoother.

Hopefully I can throw on some poor man paint job before the end of May.

Comment

Installed the 4 wire tps today. I did an ugly job of it, but gear changes are smoother and not as jerky when feathering the throttle. Also I can feel a bit more power than previously, not a huge amount, but enough to notice the difference. I'm quite satisfied with this mod considering it didn't take long and was technically a free upgrade.

Comment

yep takes no time at all! glad it's working for you.

Did you solder your connections? Don't want a loose wire, even those crimp sections loosen up, all mine from the previous owner fell apart when I moved the harness.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I couldnt find my soldering iron and flux, so i used butt connectors and wrapped them up tight with electrical tape to keep them from shaking around. I might solder them later if i can ever find my equipment lol.

Comment

Good progress!
                          Maybe you have too much stuff in the garage, so you need big box for soldering iron and flux only, lol
                          sigpic
                          1990 323s BG 1.6i

Comment

Originally posted by labeo View Post
                            Good progress!
                            Maybe you have too much stuff in the garage, so you need big box for soldering iron and flux only, lol
                            Ha, too much stuff is an understatement. I can't tell you how many things I've lost when I've needed them and found again when I didn't need them. Basically I need an entirely separate storage shed for car stuff only.

Comment

my dads basement work shop is like that lol, took me 30 minutes to find my o2 bung that I knocked on the ground!!!
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Dammit, the last thing I wanted to see today

Sooo, I got my motorized EDM's today, and was dismayed at the sound of loose clinking glass rattling inside the box. I opened it up and found this:

$H1t!

Like I haven't seen enough shattered EDM's in my life time. Anyone wanna hook me up with another glass lens? The housing and motors are fine, but the glass lens is F'd in the A.

Comment

Working...
                                X