Jonomans 323 from AIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jonomans 323 from AIS

Well as many of you know i have recently acquired a 93 BG 323 Sedan. I had no previous plans to wreck or part my TX3 ( http://fordlaser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=67097 ) but peer pressure form having children and needing a 4 door car became more and more.

Ben AKA (soul) Was moving back to geelong from QLD and had this sitting around doing nothing and he had to get rid of it before he left. That's the long and the short of how i came upon the 323.

Now the Original Plan was To Put an F8 DOHC with 626 Gear In It But the initial outlay in parts was going to cost a fortune and i dont have an endless income. I tried selling the TX3 to come up with some cash to put it together but i couldn't let it go. i have spent soo much time and money on the tx3 to see it go.

so i pulled it all out hahaha

The 323 was in no shape to just have an engine slammed in it and drive away. It needed a lot of work and after 2 months of working between 9am and 1pm saturdays its now done

It Needed A Fuel Tank but there was a dilema

It has an astina V6 Rear Sub frame and control arm setup and because they are quite a bit different a standard tank will not fit. you need to custom make one or do something like this. i dropped the 4 main bolts holding the rear sub frame in and bolted the tank up. then using a gearbox jack i lifted sub frame with a piece of 15mm timber in the areas it fowles to cave the tank in. then drop sub frame and remove timber bolt back up and wallah about 5mm clearance all round.

so that was the first head ake and mind ****. in that same saturday morning i swapped the manual steering rack over to power steering while the engine was out only to find yet another issue. it has a v6 astina K Frame in the front and as such a bg power steering rack does not fit. some of you more wiser fellas would know that they changed the rear mount for gearbox and there is a 3 bolt bracket on k frame. well that fowls on the fluid feed lines to each side of the rack. so out came the whole k frame and an angle grinder. done and dusted.

the next real problem was getting all the mounts to work from the awd cross member to the fwd and it took a fair bit of cutting welding and making new brackets it now is together but i had issues with getting the cv boots to clear k frame and lower cross member to bolt up correctly.

however not having a fuse box and wiring loom to deal with makes a huge difference, cudos to ben do doing the hard parts of the engine bay delooming.

what a pain in the neck haha

after getting it all bolted in i found i had clearance issuse with the external wastegate hit the damn bonnet

so i tapped out the reinforcment under bonnet and i just, just have clearance

then the grill didnt fit so i had to shave out heaps behind it to clip into head lights properly

all aside and fitting well it was time to fit up exhaust and intercooler 2 x things i needed to fix on the TX3 so it was all going to redone. found a heap of 2.5 in piping at work mostly stainless steel. practically gave it to me.

bought a universale 2.5in intercooler kit from ebay all alloy was 145$ delivered how could i go wrong. also got an intercooler from ebay was 99$ delivered.

was the 2 easiest things i had to do yet. i have made about 10 different intercooler systems for vehicles and they are not that hard to do.

the exhaust wasnt that hard to do when u have a boily helping you with the welding thank you Craig My Younger Bro

however in the process i broke this was hard to rectify but now taken care of

trying to remove some engine bay heat i wrapped all the exhaust pipes to the fire wall

i had troubles getting all the interior pieces aswell but they slowly came and its all together now. tx3 mirrors btw do not fit 323 had to cut an inch off the bottom to make them fit. looks good tho.

Comment

And finally after all the ****ing around it is done i drove it home today and bolted the kids seats into it. drives like a dream. needs a wheel alignment and i think the lhr caliper locks on when stopped for long periods of time. but its come a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way

Comment

Quick clean of engine bay

Comment

Good job!
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Thanks. Been a long road but all worth it

Comment

Awesome work! Glad to see you got it driving again!!... One question I have though, why did you use the AWD cross members if you didn't use the AWD transmission?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

glad to see ben's old car went to a good home - props m8
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

When I did Toyota conversion on the tx3 i made the mounts to suit awd cross member. Then when I swapped the engine into 323 it was easier to customize the cross member then make new mounts.

Comment

Yeah Ben saw the finished result over Christmas. Loved the look and stance of it. I think I did him a solid haha

Comment

Sooo yesterday I got around to changing the timing belt and valve cover. Did all the seals and belts while I was in there

Wrinkle coat is awesome and looks amazing. Would have preferred polished alloy look but harder to keep clean
                      Last edited by jonoman87; 03-23-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                        X