No announcement yet.

The 'scort with no name.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being limited on workspace, and the lack of tools.. continues to make slow 'progress'....

I can't break the axle nuts off, to get the axles out of the trans so i can pull engine and trans together out the top..

After a good struggle, i got the ball joint out, lower strut mount bolt out, upper strut mount bolt loosened, and was able to man handle the passenger side axle out of the trans.

Next attempt (might be tomorrow?) will be bolting the trans BACK to the motor for the 3rd time, and doing the same combination on the drivers side to get the axle out of there. Then, theoretically of course, just unbolt trans mount, and i should be g2g.. Nothing has turned out the way I hoped, so we'll see what happens...

w/e... it's progress...
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

i recommend a 3/4" ratchet or breaker bar & give the axle nuts hell. have someone press on the brakes while you do it.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Now see, the way the car is, negates all the ideas i receive an think of...

Car is in the air, on jack stands, in 1st gear. Shifter linkage removed. Wheels off. Brake lines disconnected. Parking brake disconnected. No battery.

No air tools...

I picked up a breaker bar a couple weeks ago. It helped with the ball joint, but all it wants to do is spin the wheel right now (duh...) when i try to break the axle nut.

HAd the car on the ground and tried break the nuts loose, but the wheels kept spinning.... yes, completely on the ground, with a breaker bar.. I think the trans bumped out of gear at some point. I've since heard to put it in 5th. future lesson
        1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
        "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

and then there is this....

Comment

good luck not bending the **** out of the screwdriver. but if it does work report back & let us know!
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	1241907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552_2.jpg
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	1241908Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553_2.jpg
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	1241909

Comment

Trust in straps. Good work bro.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

its out!!! woohoo. now what?

Comment

- Clean up the engine bay. 1) it's dirty 2) is unorganized
                    - Remove bits from dead motor, clean them, put on the rebuilt motor
                    - Consider durability upgrades
                    - Work on wiring (lots of engine bay wiring is unsafe
                    - replace accessories
                    - Brainstorm ideas for future upgrades (rally spec)

All this, and take my time. Yeah, it's been taking a long time already, but just getting the engine out is a HUGE deal.... But now that I have everything (mostly) in my hands, I can really wrap my head around the car.

- Learn

- I'm trying to find a way to remove the front support (radiator support) without cutting stuff. Just get it out of the way, and reinstall later. No cut or weld options
                    - Need to research an alternative method for PS cooling. Too much extra crap. I want things neat and tidy and easily accessible/serviceable. No single mod in this entire build is for weight savings btw... Incase that hasn't already been stated. Well... ok.. maybe when I remove the sound deadening..

Comment

i don't suggest removing the sound deadener unless you never plan to drive this thing on the street. tin metal is extensively loud without...

Comment

What are you doing for cleaning bolts and parts and such? That is assuming you want to.
                        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                          What are you doing for cleaning bolts and parts and such? That is assuming you want to.
                          picked up a rubber tote. put degreaser in it and a bit of water, soak, and hand scrub with a metal brush. The ghetto hard way. I want a parts washer, but we don't have the space for it

Comment

So, when i last went to Portland and spent a day at the yards, I pulled an exhaust manifold off a BP protege. It is suppose to be 'header' style, same as like the '94+ EGT. (might be wrong on the year)

Well, Only today after removing the heat shield from the dead motor do i see the two are identical, cast BP05...wtf!? This is aht I have (stock photo, can't find my camera suddenly..)

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1241910

Looked online, and I guess this is what I was looking for? Compliments of ebay..

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1241911

Now, if this is true, I'm debating on either going with this guy, or just getting something like an OBX header off ebay. I want the Pacesetter, but coming across them when I have the funds never lines up

Comment

Tore down dead motor intake manifold and removed a few other bits while continuing to stare at and record things.

Discovered this hole.. Interesting

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	1241944

Found oil collections in the intake manifold down all runners but the one furthest to the drivers side.

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	1241945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	1241946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	1241947

And this guy.. this is how the oil cooler works?

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	1241948

more grossness incase i haven't shared.

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	1241949

last for today, what the best way to clean out the intake manifold? the lower kia portion looks like this. I have access to a parts cleaner, incase i need to just soak it and what not at some point..

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	1241950

Comment

I might be the only one, but I haven't come across many things that can't be blasted off with brakleen and a shop rag. It gets pricey fast, I went through at least a case of that stuff in a rebuild. I drained two cans alone trying to get the oil pan spotless (pointless).

Comment

Working...
                                X