Road to Recovery. 1990 4WD Pro GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road to Recovery. 1990 4WD Pro GTX

Im a little out of my normal relm, as I used to be strictly a BF guy, so we will see how this goes. Recently got my hands on a once very nice and respectable 4WD Pro with full GTX swap. Past couple years have been ugly for it with neglect and what appears to be lack of care, but I cant say for sure. I will post some pics in a moment and let you figure out what it is.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

As you can see, she needs some love and revitalization. The next 6-8 months maybe slow as my GF is holding me to my plan of paying off debt, so not a whole lot will get done.

The Hard brake lines under the body that runs from the master cylinder to the rear subframe has rusted badly and is leaking when I hit the brake pedal. That's first priority.
    The transmission is a GTX trans that sounds like some gears are toast, but nothing is completely broken yet. I have a USDM trans that I want to salvage the gears out of and try and rebuild the GTX trans. After that, its mainly body damage and rust that needs help.

At this point I just want to get it running to be prepared for winter. Next year, I will decide weather to fix the rust on this car or find another shell. I would like to rebuild this one and save it, but I wont spend a small fortune doing it.

If all goes well, the rust will be fixed, the drivetrain repaired and repainted hopefully within a year or so.
    Last edited by FamiliaGT; 09-03-2014, 08:33 PM.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Glad to see it's in good hands. I hope you can save it.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Glad to see it went to another member. Here's some history on the car for reference, in case you didnt know. http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...ha)&highlight= The car was restored once before, but it looks like the rust is coming back with a vengeance.
        Before you criticize someone, first try walking a mile in their shoes. Because then you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes...

Comment

Heh, Thanks. Im well aware of this car. I live right next to CorkSport and would see this on a regular occasion as Jason was first rebuilding it, while he was helping me with my GT. I know what hes put into it and would like to finish what he started. As a whole, its a great car. Very powerful and low miles engine fully built, BPT with a GTR head, ported and polished and a hybrid turbo. This thing is no slouch.
          Mazda
          1988 Black 323 GT
          DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

I'm glad it ended up in good hands. I have been watching for the car since I sold it. I new and never said it was a perfect car. I hope you can do and get done what you want with the car. I and my wife do miss it
            Yes Its 4wd woot woot
            sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

Youre going to guilt me into selling it back to you huh? JK, But it maybe an option, but only for you if you want to save it.
              Mazda
              1988 Black 323 GT
              DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Going through the drivetrain and fixing the known issues. At this point, it looks like Im in need of another transmission. I have a USDM trans, but need a jspec GTX trans if anyone has one or even the internal parts. Let me know!
                Mazda
                1988 Black 323 GT
                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

So I found my alternative. Found this rust free 4wd pro with an auto and only 70k on the clock for $300. This will be the new shell for the gtx.

Mazda
                  1988 Black 323 GT
                  DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

4wd with an auto??

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Rare but out there. Good find, the 3pedal conversion shouldn't be all that tough. Been done I'm sure.
                      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

It has indeed. Very easy actually, what with the cables and all.
                        1990 Protege 4WD
                        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Very cool to know! Nice score

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

me109, What alls involved with the conversion? Will a 2wd manual pedal box fit? how hard is it to pull and replace?
                            Mazda
                            1988 Black 323 GT
                            DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Pretty easy if you pull the dash out. Then a perfect time to clean out the years of dirt and such and rinse out the ducts and such. I am getting ready to go through a GTX that way as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X