No announcement yet.

My Head Hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

summit racing rpm switch is like $40 last i looked....

the big alignment sleeves are supposed to be placed into the block.... that way they seat properly when you put the head on & don't set a wrong depth into the head.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Made some progress on this today. Time to think about timing gears. Adjustable, or OEM? I have no way to tune adjustable gears, but then it only has to be done once. This was never supposed to be a racing car, but I do want it to run well as a daily driver..
      Hrmmm.
      1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
      1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
      2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
      1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Tuning adjustable gears is pretty easy and you do it by the butt dyno. Adjust it for lower end torque, with the loss of a little top end, or more top end with less low end.
        Mazda
        1988 Black 323 GT
        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

1st Gen. You may have already seen this or know this but here is a great video on timing a motor and adjustable timing gears. Also may give you some help about whether OEM or Adjustable.

This video is all about establishing your valve timing baseline, and adjusting your camshafts to the manufacturer's spec. It's only ONE of several steps tha...

The video is using a 4g63/64 setup but the same ideas should apply to BP seires as any DOHC should be the same.

Comment

I know when i built my 4AGE for my AE86, I got new cams, and adjustable gears. I did 12 runs on a dyno to tune them, and the gears ended up being basically dead nuts on where the stock gears would've been. All I ended up doing to get the best hp/tq (133.0 / 108, if I remember correctly) was to increase the fuel pressure by 4psi, and advance the ignition timing by a couple degrees.

Granted, the block and head that I started with were pretty straight, so didn't really need much cleaned off, although I did run a thinner head gasket (8mm TRD instead of 12mm OEM. I now wish I'd gone with a 6mm TRD.)

Bottom line; if your setup started pretty clean and there wasn't a lot machined off, you might be just fine with using the stock gears, and investing that money in something more effective.

--sarge

Comment

[ url=http://www.inserturlhere.com ]Text You Want To Link[ /url] but without the spaces shown here

The Ebay version of the Innovate Wide Band
              My previous install of Innovate Wide band, MTX-L

Summit RPM Switch
              Electric solenoid motor

Cut manifold trick
              Count hose clamps and check whether or not to replace.
              Think about whether to replace down pipe to exhaust when doing the wide band install. The one I have leaks so badly.
              Would need to buy flex pipe, exhaust flange, gasket.
              Look in spare stock and see what I have already.

The pic is just for reference. I might delete it later. Not sure till I'm done with it.

Source new
              spark plugs and wires
              Oil and Filter
              Axle nuts
              CAI
              thermostat
              timing belt
              Source a pair of tires to replace POS on RR

Ryan's advice about pulling plugs and main fuse to prime engine.
              Make sure to check spare turbo to make sure it's stored properly
              Review previous work logs. Turns out there's a crapload of information.
              Think about motor mounts. I'd like to replace two of them with solid duro but I'm not going AWR unless I find a better deal.
              Remove cruise control module, finally
              Make sure leaking clutch line is inspected and fixed

It looks like I'm going to have to move the computer out of the living room. After 15 years of E news, I've finally had enough. Catlyn Jenner will not distract from my work ever again. I can't describe how much I hate that ****.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 1st Gen; 07-27-2015, 12:05 AM.

Comment

So decided to bag the BP intake. I need to get this build moving and the intake is holding me up. The GTX intake is simpler anyway. Less to go wrong.
                I am puzzled why this engine has so much corrosion on it. The nipples for cooling system are gross looking.

Comment

whats so complicated about the BP intake manifold... just bolt it on & go. better overall power to beat
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

did u buy it from canada?

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                      whats so complicated about the BP intake manifold... just bolt it on & go. better overall power to beat
                      He wanted vics to work Ryan.

Which does add complexity.
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                      Originally posted by HopelessCow
                      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post
                        He wanted vics to work Ryan.

Which does add complexity.
                        I got to thinking about it and this was never supposed to be a project car. This is still my daily, but it needs a rebuild. I've gotten off the tracks a bit with some of the modifications and I need to get back to what I originally intended.

I'll use the bp at some point. It's a great upgrade and I'm stoked about making it work correctly. It should go on the project car and get fine tuned before I put it on the daily. I would go with a GTR intake if I could find one for a decent price. Over $300 is unacceptable, over $250 is still ridiculous.

Comment

Wiring change to make vics work has absolutely zero to do with the fundamentals. Of using the intake itself (which is still better then the gtx manifold. Even w/o. Vics working). Just bolt it on.

Comment

So wire the vics shut and let it go at that?
                            I didn't realize that he spring holds the vics open, and the vacuum diaphragm closes it when the engine starts.

Comment

you can simply leave a vacuum line hooked to it. it will open progressively as you drive (based upon your vacuum level. low/high)
                              you don't have to wire it to either position- thats a total personal preference

Comment

This project is going to be back on the road by the end of the month, come hell or high water. It's been too long.

Comment

Working...
                                X