No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good. What Japanese site do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      cleaned up nicely!!!
      I just gave it a little rub,and put some rust changer on there,..literally to see what it came up like,...very little to speak of,barely any.
      Not quite done with them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by atomant48 View Post
        Looking good. What Japanese site do you use?
        Cheers sham,...
        What you mean?,..buying stuff from Japan is it?

Comment

So then I whipped off the wings,bonnet,windscreen garnish,and heater intake cover,to get a look at the rest of the front end.
          Nothing really to speak of rust wise,very light surface in some places,but nothing close to "rust",...channels all clear and nothing blocked up.
          Will be cleaning this all up piece by piece,but slapped on some rust stuff for now to see what's what.
          Pretty happy with the starting point here.
          Attached Files

Comment

I will need to move the car a little soon to get it into a good lifting position,..so I just stuck the "as new" shocks mentioned a while back,just to get her on all 4 wheels.
            And hit the inner wings,and any other visible surface rust with a tester dose of anti rust stuff too.
            Crap pics,will take better when there's better light.
            Attached Files

Comment

A little re-cap here before I go on,...maybe I mentioned all before,but just quickly.

The front and rear suspension,and rear axle/member came from one of my "support team",black saloon (mz9 a few pages back),..Easily the cleanest underbody BG I've located in the past few years.
              Originally I was going to use the engine,running gear and air-con from black hatch (mz2 at the very start),..but since the saloon was virtually un repairable and the hatch was almost 100% complete,this would've been a waste of a saveable car,and so plans changed a little.
              Few pics here of mz9 again,..and the stuff used.

The last pic shows what it's been sat at the ranch like for the past year almost,alass its time to get the rest of her useful bits out and send her shattered corpse to China.
              Have to say again,this car saved me a lot of hassle,...and almost every peice of it,minus power steering reservoir,is gone to mz1,my mates black interplay saloon,and to other BGs the world over.
              Attached Files

Comment

So out came the engine,..
                Can't exactly remember the mileage,it's back the thread somewhere,but it's pretty low,and probably the cleanest engine I've removed ever.
                No oil of any kind anywhere,or dirt really.

Course because it's on soft ground,another member of the support team,mz White,...had to volunteer to transport the engine to more solid ground,..and then dragging mz9s husk out of the way,truly a comical site to behold,after my sides stopped aching I realised I should've filmed the event and posted to YouTube but I may do a couple of vids and post links here in the near future,just to see if people can get a better jist of things,..

As the front member/subframe is in superb nic,of course,that's going in mz1 too.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scrummatron View Post
                  Cheers sham,...
                  What you mean?,..buying stuff from Japan is it?
                  Yep for parts etc

Comment

Originally posted by atomant48 View Post
                    Yep for parts etc
                    Buying stuff from Japan isn't easy,I have a couple of times,but it so much hassle
                    When I started back at these cars,Yahoo auctions and a couple of breakers I contacted on eBay,...but prices for anything I'd want are rough.
                    So I started buying everyone of these that came available in my country,...
                    I mentioned a lot here,but a good few more I've broken since,over 20 now,21 of the last 23 that came up for sale,I stopped giving them code names cos I was confusing myself,....
                    If you want something in particular I can maybe help,or good Piotr might have what u need,he has got me a few bits n bobs I couldn't get here,...and I know a good few honest lads from all corners I've dealt with and trust,...kind of.lol.
                    Lots of fellas on Facebook will sell u stuff,but they aren't all as honest as me.
                    Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Few pics here of the gear selector assembly,..I showed bits before I think but it's good to go on now...and will be soon.
                      With "custom" shorter throw gear stick,..
                      Main bits were blasted,treated,painted,cooked and so on,..everything cleaned,bush is perfect,other bush is perfect,and even the plastic bush is perfect,...and bolt refurb as usual

The idea was to make the throw between gears a little shorter,but keep the gear knob at the standard height,..so I moved the ball a bit,as per measurement pic,...
                      whipped up a spacer thing,the same size as the distance I moved the ball,and then took the catching bit off the spring to keep all in place.
                      Few pics there of the processes involved,everything ready for a good greasing and sticking back on car,...

Note-the cleanest other assembly I have for comparison is in the pics.
                      Attached Files

Comment

im so confused.... why did you raise the shifter??
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                          im so confused.... why did you raise the shifter??
                          Ya,I'm starting to confuse myself a bit too,..lol

Honestly,2 pics didn't upload and won't for some reason,..and I find myself rambling on a lot about things,and have been trying to curtail this,so maybe didn't explain enough.

Basically,I moved the ball of the gearstick only,so the pivot point is a little closer to the knob.
                          Then made a spacer of the same distance as I moved the ball,leaving the gearstick and knob at its original factory height.

Comment

Fully refurbished the OEM fog lights,with brackets,bumper grills and a huge pile of parts now ready for install.

These came up real good
                            Attached Files

Comment

Long break again but not much time to play these days as usual,..
                              So with the front subframe and shafts and basically everything that isn't the underbody at the front being very rusty,I'm sending my best of all of them to get blasted and powder coated,...all came from black sedan.
                              That's subframe-front arms-knuckles-back plates-shafts-cradle and the few other bits n bobs that hold all together,..
                              Breaking this all apart was mostly handy,but the hub nuts were pretty tough,1 in particular took everything I threw at it,penetrating stuff,torching,impact gun,punch,wax,last pic shows the 12 foot bar that had to be called into service,..
                              And even then it was a full power job,...but eventually it gave way.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Scrummatron; 05-14-2018, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Hardly worth a mention,but because it was such a hassle,I will anyway,..
                                The engine that's going in,eventually,..out of whitey and into the corner.
                                Oil is so golden,and and no leaks anywhere,...
                                Il be changing the belts but don't want to start cracking seals so will be putting it in basically as is.

Head number there in a pic,slightly different to the az3 number,and a few casting differences,..so if anyone reading is an expert,I'd appreciate some non hearsay based info.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X