No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course,to get that engine and subframe in,..the manky stuff has got to come out,...so out came the old stuff.
    Course the ac is gone already so the cooling system was first,note the half blocked with sludge coolant pipe.

Pic of the az3 head number there.
    And the non-standard gearbox.

It's all a bit murky in the shed so the pics are terrible as always.
    Attached Files

Comment

Then the other bits n bobs all came away pretty straightforward stuff,..
      Exhaust,intake,power steering,and battery tray and loom garb.

Can't leave engine lift at shed,and it takes 2 to bring it there and manoeuvre it,otherwise I would've taken out then,but needed to wait for assistance.

Few minor rusty bits and scrapes and dings from fitting this engine,and clutch line is a non original mock up,but it's pretty good in engine bay if I'm honest.
      Attached Files

Comment

yikes, that motor is going to need a coolant flush from hell. Id suggest a vinegar treatment to the cooling system too before actually attempting to refill it.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
          yikes, that motor is going to need a coolant flush from hell. Id suggest a vinegar treatment to the cooling system too before actually attempting to refill it.
          God I hate vinegar,I'd have to pay someone to do it incase vinegar got on me,..lmao.

Seriously tho,...that engine will not be used "by me" in the near future,probably be another ornament for a while.
          Ran very well tho,and didn't get hot,but I'm sure there is a difference in that and the original to familias 1.5dohc,hard to get anyone to commit to saying the actual difference,even if very small,but it's plain to see there is a head difference if you just look at them,...I may have to tear it down to find out for myself.
          Just angles I reckon.

Comment

Engine up and out,no problems,straightforward stuff.
            Was a splash and dash type job,so no pics really,...loads more crap pics to follow.
            Attached Files

Comment

Not related to mz1,...but I Want to just post a pic here of a rare bumper I came accross in my parts search.
              I'm assured the forum is here for the long term so want to save a couple pics for posterity and reference.

I eventually found out it was a phase 1 edm option,made by vestatec for Mazda BG.
              Took a bit of digging but I managed to find a couple of pics of it on a car eventually,..
              Amazingly,still brand new with a full fitting kit,grills,bolts,different toe eye to suit,.....rare stuff.
              Attached Files

Comment

i dig it
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Ya,won't be for this car,..but so rare I thought it worth a mention.

Anyway,engine out and other engine ready,I will sex up a few bits of the engine bay,intake,cam cover and a general tidy and paint.

This engine has some head stuff going on,and it works with the intake to give some extra zip in higher revs,..there are numbers on both engine blocks,that are the same,...but the head numbers are different.

Here's the intake home for a clean and check,I think this is the smallest engine with a vics type intake that Mazda made,...maybe not.
                  Either way,I'm pretty sure u can delete this easily and give the engine more air through all channels,but I'm really going for full factory set up so want it working as it should've,....it's clear to see how the actuator thing works the flaps and activates the chamber thing.

Having said all that,...the hole that the air has to get through in that mode is pretty bleak,and does not match the angle of the chambers round edge,.....so I may enlarge it a little and round it off to eliminate the chance of a dead air pocket.
                  Hard to make it out in the pics,but I will show again.
                  Maybe and likely make no difference,but it will make me feel a bit better to do it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

clean that up so we can see whats going on in there please!!!!

Comment

Wow, almost looks like the mazdaspeed type a! Minus the side vents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MS type a 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1245465

Name:	sani02_copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1245466

Name:	typea.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1245467

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                        clean that up so we can see whats going on in there please!!!!
                        Ya sham,...it's getting overhauled now so clear pics otw,..
                        Il try give an explanation of how it works,...but Honestly,....I'm no expert,so hopefully someone chimes in with a better explanation then and sets the record straight,...lol.

Think it's variable inertia charge or variable intake control to the poor man.
                        Course the theory of it is easy to read somewhere,more air goes in easier at a certain point in the rev range.
                        But il try flesh that explanation out when it's cleaned up,..my interpretation of it at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Pox View Post
                          Wow, almost looks like the mazdaspeed type a! Minus the side vents.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70843[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]70844[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]70845[/ATTACH]
                          Ya I seen that bumper before,,,Indeed,...they're not the same,...
                          but there is some kind of resemblance going on between them,...seems to much of a coincidence,I guess 1 took some q's from the other,,,
                          Likely vestatec tried to bring some similar options to Europe that mazdaspeed had on the go in Japan at the time.

Rare to see any 30 year old bumper new,but 1 so rare aswell,it was a real find.

Comment

The seams on that bumper matched the phase 1 type side trims,..and I had picked up 2 other early option kit pieces,skirts by Mazda and rear bumper lips by foha,..it all kinda matched,as per the white hatchback in pics,..
                            Fancy kits are cool,but I was never going to put them on my cars I reasoned,so I shipped them off to someone who would.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Cleaned up vics intake manifold is beng cleaned,..will come back to that,.

Slow progress with car but some things done and bits n bobs moved along.
                              So I got the front up high to get the front underside body ready to clean up,most of underside is pretty good as i said Befor,...but front subframe had to go.a
                              Not "rotten" per say,...but pretty rusty and looks ****.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Came out easy enough,...and the rack and reservoir and pipes,..
                                All pretty clean and straight forward.

Can totally see oval wear on washers of the subframe,...I'm assuming many people don't remove subframes but totally thinking about them chassis collars again,...would like them for the re'build.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X