Exhintake cam update..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhintake cam update..

Ok, as everyone knows, I installed my spare exhaust cam in the intake side. It was out of phase, so I needed get some cam gears and adjust the cam timing, since I was only getting power above 4000RPM, and even still, not much. I installed the cam gears, and advanced the intake side a bit, and it was better. Anyways, I got some dyno time on Thursday night, and laid down a massive run of 100whp(now I know how the FS-DE guys feel ). We played with the timing, advancing it, and advancing it until it was fully advance. You guessed it..
    ....I had installed the cam gear, without remembering to index it 3 teeth clockwise. My intake cam was 45 degrees retarded. Which means I had NO overlap, and crazy reversion, which was why I was getting no power. Anyways, even with the cam gear fully advanced, I got 122whp but torque was down to 103lb/ft. Obviously, I needed to remove the cam gear and install it properly. If I had done that, I might be reporting better results. Like having that 122whp AND my 112lb/ft I used to have. Anyways, I installed it properly, and now I think I'm running +8 on the intake side. Nice sounding lopey idle, and awesome power from 3000-redline. Obviously I'm giving up a couple down low, but who cares?

It's good to know that our car can still run with crazy amounts of cam mistiming. It doesn't have that awesome burble off throttle like it did with it really retarded, but I'll trade the power for the sound any day.

Mike, I'm sending you my cams when I get back from a WEMF(World Electronic Music Festival...a 3 day rave), a week this Monday. So next time I'm on the dyno, it'll be with Mike's cams. I see no reason I won't be hitting 130whp(seems reasonable the cams could give me 8whp more), as long as I'm getting the fuel I need. Custom header will be next after that, and I think the stock injectors may max out at 135whp before I start running too lean, but we'll see. With enough fuel, after the header should be 135-140 region, but I won't get those results til after the E-Manage is installed. And besides, I've learned to take what I THINK I'll get, and divide by two. So I'll probably be at 130whp after cams and header.

sounds good! you got just as much whp as me with the stock exhaust on the intake side
    but you have a much 'younger' motor and more advanced ignition timing...

also you reindexed it just 3 teeth? Mike told me to index mine 4.5 teeth clockwise from the exhaust slot...
    Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Actually, I intentially indexed it 4 teeth advanced, just so I knew I wouldn't have to do it twice. I figured I could retard the cam gear to get where I needed just in case.

Ya, my engine only has 170,000km, or 106,000miles. It's always been a strong runner, and my tech guy comments on how smooth and rock solid it is on the dyno. Remember, I baselined at 110.9whp, with only a muffler.

Jay, I forgot to ask..did you readjust your ignition timing before each run, after retarding your exhaust cam? If you retarded your cam, you also retarded your ignition timing, which may have caused you to lose some power. If retarding the exhaust cam only got you 1hp for example, you may have lost 4hp from having the timing retarded, which means you should be up by 5hp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
        Jay, I forgot to ask..did you readjust your ignition timing before each run, after retarding your exhaust cam?
        yes, after each change to the exhaust cam - we set it back to 14.
        Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

Working...
        X