No announcement yet.

pulling engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it true that the gear only falls if you pull both axles? If that's the case then why not just leave the half-shaft in on the passenger side? Do you have SOHC or DOHC?
    Scott
    '94 Protege LX - gone, but not forgotten
    '96 Volvo 854T Platinum Limited Edition
    '98 Volvo V70 T5
    '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

When I pulled the engine out of my protege.. nothing fell in the tranny and I pulled both axles with no problems at all....

I think the rumour is just that ...A RUMOUR...

-------------------------------------------------

Semtex

you have to put the car on Jackstands and use the Lift to support the engine ..

then you pull all the mounts that support the engine and by this time I would think you disconnected the wire harness...

then you just lower the motor onto a dolly or the ground (but then you will have to walk it out) . Once the motor is on a dolly , put the lift on the two tow hooks and then lift the engine up and roll the dolly out ...

Bruce
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Its not a rumour, it happened to a guy in my auto shop class in highschool. He was changing both axles and he put them back in. put the car in gear and it didn't go anywhere.. They had to tow it to the tranny shop.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Hmm, how do you get the passenger axle off without the half shaft? I can't get the damn thing to budge. Keep hammering??? My driver's axle is already off.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Why would it be easier to drop the motor out of the bottom?

Comment

Usually, the motor goes into the car (at the factory) from the bottom. But, unless you have a lift, and lots of other tools, it's much easier to pull it out the top.

With the DOHC, you don't have to worry about the spider gears falling, as there is an intermediate shaft that is still connected when you pull the passenger-side halfshaft.

Now, when you pull that out, you have to be careful not to turn the tranny in gear, or the spider gears can fall out. Major PITA.
              David Avard
              '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
              '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
              '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

anybody who says the spidergears will fall out by removing the axels are on crack...... the only way its possible number on is if the spider gears rotate.... and how in the hell is that gonna happen if your removing a straight piece of metal(axel) your not rotating the spider gears and if you are you better be holding the differential in your hand.
                Well thats my two sense... oh and dropping the motor down is the ghetto way and more difficult... get a engine hoist if its a problem.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                  i have pulled apart a saturn. ..
                  are u sure it didnt fall appart?
                  NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

Back about 7 months ago i pilled my tranny yo cjange the clutch, both axles were out of it and I had no problem. The same on my brothers Geo both axles out and no problem.....my $.02

Comment

if you spin the tranny with the axles out can can drop the spider gear. Solution, dont be a tool and spin the internals of the tranny.
                      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                      So his engine he goosed
                      With much too much boost,
                      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Oh, well, I got the axle off without pulling off the intermediate shaft. I didn't think the axle was budging and I thought I'd have to take the intermediate shaft off too, but I just used a different hammer... problem solved.
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                        X