Miata Piston thread...revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTF
    I know its an old thread but can help the nonsense and pure BS Jessy says brings up about higher compression in a turbo combo...

Its obvious you have never worked with turbo cars, the kind of nonsense you are bringin up is so damn ridiculous.

If some good free advice Spoolin Pro will have is:

Dude, get the Protege DX SOHC pistons especially from an automatic, the gains in power with a turbo is so stupidly insane!!! 100% gaurantee, NO BS.

I did this combo with a BP05 turbo, took out the stock pistons and put in the DX pistons in a BP05 turbo, DUDE, maybe you would feel a little lag, BUT once that turbo spool up, you better have a good clutch and performance tires cause you are gonna be eatin the road. When I swtiched from stock BP05 pistons to the DX SOHC I gained around 30 HP easy. I assume you have 2.25 of exhaust or more, good muffler, and a fuel pump to back up all this air.

Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Have you ever seen the low stock compression pistons of a Turbo targa Supra, you can drink beer in one of those. The car would be humble and peaceful at low rpms but once you know how to spool up that rubo the road is yours.

HELLO!?

MAYDAY!!!!

This is funny.

Anyway, believe who you want.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Miata Piston thread...revisited

Ok, who was the power monger that closed that Miata Piston thread? Get over it an let things play out. More needed to be said to clear up misinformation, and there's more information to be said about the Miata pistons. Get over it next time.

Anyways, WTF is completely wrong. The ONLY reason people use lower compression pistons is to avoid the detonation that comes with compressing large amounts of air/fuel into a small place. Everything else Jesse said was right. The BP has an insane bottom end, and can EASILY handle a low boost 10:1 set-up. It would actually be quiet a SWEET set-up. Good off boost power, betting engine compression braking, better throttle response etc etc. Look at this compression/boost map

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

As you can see, 10:1 with 8psi, is pretty much the same as 8:1 with 14psi.

The Miata 10:1 pistons come in .25mm and .5mm overbores. They come with wrist pins, but not rings. They are an excellent and cheap way to enhance your powerband a bit.

Back to compression ratio. Jesse stated dynamic compression ratio, which takes into account cam timing. If your valves are open during the compression stroke(which 99% are), it lowers your compression ratio. The cylinder can't compress with the valve open. This is only true to an extent though, as air fills the cylinder, even as pistons starts to move upwards. Static compression ratio is the ratio of the cylinder and combustion chamber at BDC to the combustion chamber at TDC.

And WTF, it's great that your 8:1 pistons have worked well for you, but it doesn't mean your combination is the best way to go.

Comment

SOHC vs. DOHC

"What is the BP05 turbo??? LOL.....and arent the sohc pistons higher comp than the dohc pistons? Hmmm maybe jesse was right....."
        #323 STS SoloII SCCA
        Darren/ 91 Protege LX/5 spd/ custom CAI/2.25" catback exhaust/ front and rear strut bars/Pacesetter Header/Catco hi-flo cat/RX7 VAF (broken)/Brembo front slotted rotors/KVR Carbon fiber front and rear pads/ ST 2" lowering springs/Tokico struts

from 91PROTEGELX

The SOHC block has lower compression pistons, lower than the LX.

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Please do your homework b4 posting nonsense.

Review each article from Turbo Magazine, I bet you that you will find no, I mean 0% , NADA, no article of a turbo with high compression pistons.

Tell me ONE, ONlY one racer in the NHRA running TURBO in the one digit club with high compression pistons.... NONE, its just stupid

Like I have always said, you can run turbo with high compression setup, but hello is like running a marathon with boots.

And, the SOHC DX block has lower compression than the GT, LX block. You don't believe, don't do it. You don't know what you are missing by doing this simple piston swap. Its cheap and is hell of an improvement to turbo BP05's...

Be stupid enough to visit the local store and say::" I want my car running 5 psi with 12:1 pistons, hellooo...
        Last edited by WTF; 08-23-2004, 09:03 PM. Reason: helloo!

Comment

pistons 101

Turbos are not measured by amount of boost, but efficiency thru all the powerband.

What is the purpose of having a turbo who does 8 psi but minimum air been pumped in?

Turbos pushes, forces air into the chambers, the more air, more oxygen, ad fuel and what you get, power.

No, high compression and boost do not mix...

That is why tons of Hondas remove the V-tec and take out the highly efficient H Comp factory pistons in exchange of lower compression. It is a proven fact. Just pick up a magazine or visit the nearest racetrak, or just head to any performance store and ask for some advice. The same reason Supras, Eclipse, GTR's ALL have low pistons.

Comment

high compression pistons are better simple as that, first since u have higher compression u got more power without boost, second since u dont need as much boost u can use a smaller turbo and then theres less lag, third you can run lower boost and then when u beat some one u can say "im running 5 psi instead of 15 psi"
            i is dumb

Comment

Yeah sure, Lisa Kubo Bware

JAJAJAJAJAA

That is a handful, LOL

The secret to ultimate power has been unfolded!

Gee, let me see, I just opened the engine block of a Eclipse GST, "what do I see, low compression pistons"

Let me see, A Supra block, " Is that a piston or a cup to drink wine" I wannaa make my car run I will throw in some 12:1 and I will be smokin that dragstrip for good.

Comment

I think it has more to do with trying to avoid detonation than anything else

edit: the single digit NHRA turbo cars are probably running 25+ psi

Comment

I thought we covered all of this before

-------------------------
                  '91 LX
                  '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                  -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                  well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
                    Ok, who was the power monger that closed that Miata Piston thread? Get over it an let things play out. More needed to be said to clear up misinformation, and there's more information to be said about the Miata pistons. Get over it next time.

Anyways, WTF is completely wrong. The ONLY reason people use lower compression pistons is to avoid the detonation that comes with compressing large amounts of air/fuel into a small place. Everything else Jesse said was right. The BP has an insane bottom end, and can EASILY handle a low boost 10:1 set-up. It would actually be quiet a SWEET set-up. Good off boost power, betting engine compression braking, better throttle response etc etc. Look at this compression/boost map

http://members.aol.com/solomiata2/BoostCompRatio.gif

As you can see, 10:1 with 8psi, is pretty much the same as 8:1 with 14psi.

The Miata 10:1 pistons come in .25mm and .5mm overbores. They come with wrist pins, but not rings. They are an excellent and cheap way to enhance your powerband a bit.

Back to compression ratio. Jesse stated dynamic compression ratio, which takes into account cam timing. If your valves are open during the compression stroke(which 99% are), it lowers your compression ratio. The cylinder can't compress with the valve open. This is only true to an extent though, as air fills the cylinder, even as pistons starts to move upwards. Static compression ratio is the ratio of the cylinder and combustion chamber at BDC to the combustion chamber at TDC.

And WTF, it's great that your 8:1 pistons have worked well for you, but it doesn't mean your combination is the best way to go.
                    Sorry about closing the thread, but I thought everybody knew the right answer. I did not think there was much of a point to trying to debate with somebody who will not listen... *shrug* I will rejoin the threads.
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

As for me... I think if I'm not satisfied with the power of my GTX motor, I will probably put 9.5:1 pistons in, or at least 9.0:1. I've noticed, when driving my dad's WRX wagon, off-boost power is not that great. With the gearing of that car, it can be really annoying where rapid speed changes are needed. I want to avoid that. But first, I need to tune this car better than a LX ECU will do

Comment

I never once said anything about NHRA cars running turbo's. Dont most of the top fuels use s/c's? ANyways, I said CHAMP cars, as in the indy-looking type cars, you know the ones that race around towns hitting like 200 mph. yea, lots of them use high comp turbo v8s and some even v10s.

Manufactures put low compression pistons in turbo cars because most people dont understand them, and put the lowest cheapest octane gas they see. If they put 10:1 comp pistons in the eclipses, there'd be an awful lot of blown up engines to replace. Hence the reason why aftermarket companies exist, if the manufactures always used the best and most powerful combo's on their engines, well then I guess all of the aftermarket compaines would be out of comission.
                        Eat ****.

Comment

And also, WTF, wtf crawled up your ass?? Why do you have to be such a complete asshole in all your posts. Serious, if your gonna be that way, you shouldnt even post here. This is a good community and we don't need jerk offs like you.
                          Eat ****.

Comment

That's your only nitpick with this thread??/

Comment

Darren is right. Manufacturers use low compression pistons because the average comsumer doesn't know how to keep their car in tune, and it enables them to use low quality fuel. Look at all the Hondas out there with turbos. Do you think they're ALL putting in low compression pistons? There are guys with B18C5s with turbos, and they run 11:1 compression. And guess what? 8psi, and these guys are getting 270whp. They throw in 9:1 pistons and they'd get 220whp. Even GSRs and SiRs have 10:1 or higher.

Like 10 of us have said. The ONLY reason you run low compression, is to avoid detonation. No, a car with 10:1 compression IS NOT going to handle 25psi on pump gas. But it'll handle 10psi or less, and it'll drive wickedly.......

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                                I heard of a BP-ZE engine, but wtf is a "BP05" engine?

I know eh? BP05 is the standard name of some parts of the BP series engines...like my cylinder head says BP05 on it. I think he needs to read your website....

Comment

Working...
                                X