No announcement yet.

Miata Piston thread...revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An intercooler can never be TOO efficient, but you won't know if it's effecient ENOUGH til you use it. If you have problems with detonation, you can always try your hand at water injection.

Comment

there's plenty of formulas to figure out what's big enough for an intercooler.

and you CAN have too much intercooler, as the pressure drop increases lag and response time, something important on a street car.

also, "risk of detonation"

there's ALWAYS a risk. the key is tuning, and not half-assed, "well it sorta runs" ****. Get it on a dyno, spend a number of hours with a GOOD tuner, and get the car dialed in.
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Show me where I said you can't have 'too much' intercooler? I said it can never be TOO efficient.

Comment

oh I found a local dyno tuner that is really good with cars. he charges like 45 bux for 3 pulls.

I have already talked to him. He is going to help me tune once its all in and running.

I know ppl reccomend the starion IC but do you think that it will be large enough?

Ontop of that I will be runing a 3' exhaust pipe, I guess I should run the same for the IC piping. Anynoe know the diameter of the turbo?
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
            Show me where I said you can't have 'too much' intercooler? I said it can never be TOO efficient.

+1 to you. I misread it.
            -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Originally posted by D323
              oh I found a local dyno tuner that is really good with cars. he charges like 45 bux for 3 pulls.

I have already talked to him. He is going to help me tune once its all in and running.

I know ppl reccomend the starion IC but do you think that it will be large enough?

Ontop of that I will be runing a 3' exhaust pipe, I guess I should run the same for the IC piping. Anynoe know the diameter of the turbo?

45 bucks = 3 pulls?

May want to ask him about his hourly rate on the dyno...3 pulls won't even get you a decent baseline.
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

I called him this morning and he said it was 15 bux for 3 pulls and I might want to look at spend 45 bux or more to get a decent baseline like you said. My fault misunderstood him.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Still, those are pretty good rates.....

Comment

So out of all of this .... debating, we still don't know which pistons fit in our good ol' BP, without interfering with valves.

anyone which to enlighten our ignorant n00bs with this info.

01 miata 10:1 - Do they fit?

Q

Comment

Every single miata piston fits.

WTF?

I'm not even going to bother quoting.

Mod - Please close this thread.
                      Bryan
                      MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                      Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

Originally posted by zenilder
                        Every single miata piston fits.

WTF?

I'm not even going to bother quoting.

Mod - Please close this thread.
                        Who's rattled?

For the record, every 1.8 Miata piston will fit in every 1.8 Protege.

Comment

how did someone or how would someone... wind up with interfering piston/valve? if just adding the pistons doesn't do this what would?

there are a few misc differences in/on each head EGT/Protege'/Miata
                          who is 100%positive that this doesn't make a difference when swapping pistons... no offense but i need to see some proof... either pics of combustion chambers and differences (i heard there are minute differences) or some sort of research done to prove no differences....
                          there are so many different thoughts out there... someone needs to be the all knowing about this.
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

im all knowing. Im am the ProtegeGod. Ask me anything.
                            Eat ****.

Comment

What would make your engine an interference engine could be many factors. A smaller deck height for one. Deck height is the distance from the flap top of a piston, to the bottom of the cylinder head. You want a deck height to be at least .030" to allow for expansion and piston rock. Fortunately for us, deck height is something is the region of .340". Which means that even at max lift, the valve will never hit the piston, even if it's at TDC. The Miata 10:1 pistons have a higher compression height, therefore less deck height, but larger valve reliefs. Another way to make an interference engine, is by more valve lift. Higher lift means the valves come closer to the piston.

You want proof eh? Why is this our job to prove it to you? If you're doing an engine build, it's up to you to know the specs of the engine you're putting together. You need to know piston dish/dome, deck height, head gasket thickness and net valve lift. Here's a pic

Comment

and if you start playing with some really high compression/small deck height stuff, start factoring in rod stretch.

Ideally, you want the clearances at redline to be as small as you're willing to go. Some race engine builders are making it so that at redline, the piston *kisses* the head.
                                -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X