Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extremely slow take off, gears not catching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extremely slow take off, gears not catching?

I'm having some trouble with my transmission. When starting off in 1st it tends to give a slow drag when taking off. So, I'd give it a bit more gas before releasing the clutch(to 3000 RPMs). Then as I release the clutch, the RPMs will tend to drop without me depressing the gas pedal.

But, sometimes, it will give that fast accel like it should. But, when I do get that fast accel and I have to slow down or stop, that's when the problem may arise again (90% of the time). And, after receiving that fast accel, if you press down on the accel pedal you won't see the RPMs raise and you won't hear the engine rev.

I do notice, before starting off, that if my RPMs are around 500 that my car will give that sluggish/slow take off. But, if my RPMs read 1000-1500 then my car will give that fast accel.

(Before this problem came up, and during, it's rough to put it in gear. It doesn't just slip right in, you actually have to pull it in there. And, when putting it in reverse, you feel a slight jolt and hear the tranny knock as you put it in gear. Sometimes, it won't even go into reverse. At times, it didn't want to go into first.)

Can anyone give me a better idea as to what my problem is?

I figured that maybe someone went through the same or similar problem and could kind of let me know of an estimate as to how much it might cost to fix this problem.

Thanks for your times.
    -'93 Protege DX 5spd

-'03 Protege5 5spd (My new baby)

From '93 to '03. A ten year jump in less than one year, without using the "NOS" button, now that's what I call fast.

syncro's?

Comment

this sounds fuel related. during a fast aceleration, do you blow smoke out the tail pipe? or when you stap on the gas and nothign happens do you smell gas?
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

No, no smoke and no gas smell. Oh, and there is this knocking sound. No, it doesn't sound like marbles! I use 89...but, it gets louder as I raise the RPMs. And, when the RPMs are 1500 at idle the ride seems smooth and not much of a knocking.

[Correction: it only gives that fast accel. when the RPMs read 1500 during idle. 1000RPMs just isn't as bad but there isn't a good accel. Anything below...oh man, it gets so frustrating.]
        -'93 Protege DX 5spd

From '93 to '03. A ten year jump in less than one year, without using the "NOS" button, now that's what I call fast.

Comment

get a new cap and rotor for the disty, change your plugs, and have your injectors cleaned.

get the 240000km service done and that should fix most of the issues.
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

I have been told by three people, including 95ProLeila, that it might be a timing problem. I have to wonder if it is true. I'm going to try and work on the timing, hopefully I know what I'm doing (Turning the rotor inside of the ditsy) cause I really don't know much about a car. So, it's a learning experience.
            -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

I was gonna say a timing problem too.
              James G.
              sobe83@yahoo.com
              AIM: DVS 323BPT
              MySpace
              Cardomain
              <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

no, i wasn't talking about timing, I meant syncros as in transmission, with the weird noises when you're trying to put it in gear.

Comment

O-o-o-oH! Got ya'.

Well, I couldn't make it to my mechanic. But, I did a little playing around with the timing. It's stilla cting up. I guess I should tune it somemore. Hopefully I'm doing it right. I read somewhere in here about jumping the TEN&GND in the diagnostics then turning the screw on the throttle body? So, yeah. That's what I did, it fixed it....at the begining, then it started acting up on me again! It's irritating!!!!
                  -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

Ahhh! That won't affect the timing. That's the adle adjust screw. I think what you need is a timing light. I haven't used one myself, though.
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I refuse to play guess what...

Maybe you should take the car to a pro and have it checked out.
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                        I refuse to play guess what...

Maybe you should take the car to a pro and have it checked out.

True, I'm sick of it as well. But, problem is that I really don't have the moolah to pay my mechanic IF he has to hook it up to the computer ($90). But, if he doesn't have to then it's free. But, the things I've heard about mechanics now-a-days I'm just not sure if they'll screw me or not.

But...I am going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing too expensive.
                        -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                          Ahhh! That won't affect the timing. That's the adle adjust screw. I think what you need is a timing light. I haven't used one myself, though.

Well...if it's suppose to help my idle...then it surely didn't help. My idle is still too low...at times.

I heard about the timing light thing myself and I heaven't used one either, ha-ha.

Thanks for the help people.

IF I can take it to my mechanic tomorrow then I'll be sure to post up what the problem was and all the details incase someone else has this problem.
                          -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

Okay, I took it to my mechanic and this is what he said:

>The timing was 10degrees retarded.

>The Thermo sensor was busted. My ECU was reading that the engine was running 40degrees below than what it was. (He glued it back on)

>#1 Fuel Injector was blocked(?) He mentioned that he bent a couple of things backwards and if it goes bad on me, again, then I should just replace it. ($211 to replace)

He said "If you're in traffic, you can surely get out of everyone's way now." Ha-ha. So, I take it that the pick-up is great! Well, I'm going to pick my car up tomorrow. And, I'll let you know what I think of the results.
                            -'93 Protege DX 5spd

Comment

Glad to hear it, hope it helped.
                              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                              X