No announcement yet.

NOPI Lsd real? or fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is a peice of ****. IT uses 4 springs & two blocks of metal to basically make your open-different a locked differential.

But...in the snow & rain, it'll still lose traction on one wheel. It is basically only good for drag racing and even then, they aren't super effective.

I know a couple of ppl with these things installed, one says it sucks, the other says "it seems to work ok". IT is a ****ing pain in the ass to install and they all come with TOO SOFT springs to properly lock the differential up.

You can buy different strength springs to make it lock the diff more securely under harder launches, but they cost like 200 ****ing dollars for 4 springs..its bull****.

If you want a differential get a Tochigi Fugi Sangyo 2-way LSD from your mazdaspeed dealer for 550 dollars. They are TRUE clutch-type diff's and are standard equipment in Mazdaspeed Proteges.

And yes, they fit your transmission so don't ask.
    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

its like welding up your spider gears, full time posi track....not work messing up your car.
      According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Phantom Grip testimonials...

Rivergate Racing is currently racing five CRX/Civics in SCCA's Improved Touring C class. Two of these were bought with the Mugen limited slip (about $1300 each!). We have installed the Phantom Grip limited slip in the other three. I raced one of the cars with the Phantom Grip at Virginia International Raceway. Two weeks later, I raced one of the Mugen equipped cars at Road Atlanta. I was frankly surprised to find that I prefer the action of the Phantom Grip by a significant margin, over the much more expensive Mugen. The difference was in the feel. The Mugen would turn loose if I overdrove and hit a curb exiting a corner. This upset the balance of the car. With the Phantom Grip there was no spinning of the inside tire, yet I was never conscious of the action of the limited slip--the Phantom Grip just works!

--Bill Perry--

I bought a Phantom Grip from you late last month and used it in an autocross this past Sunday at Danville, VA airport with Triad Sports Car Club. I placed first in D-Mod with my 88' CRX. Usually I struggle on this particular course but finished 1.5 seconds ahead of my competition. Thanks to the Phantom Grip. Just wanted to say thank you. After the 1999 race season, I installed a Phantom Grip Limited Slip in my ITC Honda CRX. In 2000 I have run nine races, and won all of them but one. My friend Vesa and I were so far in front in that race that we just played around with each other, while talking on the radio. Wins included the Pro IT Series Championship and the SARRC Invitational Championship race. Without question the Phantom Grip has made my Honda faster.

-- Will Perry--

I purchased a Phantom Grip for my CRX from you this past winter and it worked out very well. I used it for a 6 hour endurance race and WON!! The second pace car was 7 laps down. I've since turned the car into an oval track (asphalt) racer (stripped it out and added a full roll cage).

Price of stiffer springs...

UPGRADE your Phantom Grip Limited Slip Conversion Kit with our Spring Tuning Kit. Only $29.95 U.S.
        '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
        '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
        '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
        '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
        '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
        '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

And it's not like welding up your spider gears, if it were then it wouldn't be a *gasp* LIMITED slip.
          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by lscrx
            And it's not like welding up your spider gears, if it were then it wouldn't be a *gasp* LIMITED slip.
            I'm pretty sure that was his point

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
              I'm pretty sure that was his point

What are you talking about?
              '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
              '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
              '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

does any one know what for sure needs to be fab.ed to get the mazdaspeed lsd to fit in a 1st gen? I really want to do this but am under the impression it takes a lot of fabing.
                Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

WOW *claps hands*

You ripped their testimonials straight from Phantom Grips Site!! Good job!

Here is some real testimonial from the EF/CRX section of honda tech:

They say it sucks, blows up tranny's and doesn't benefit you much when installed.

Originally posted by lscrx
                  Phantom Grip testimonials...

Rivergate Racing is currently racing five CRX/Civics in SCCA's Improved Touring C class. Two of these were bought with the Mugen limited slip (about $1300 each!). We have installed the Phantom Grip limited slip in the other three. I raced one of the cars with the Phantom Grip at Virginia International Raceway. Two weeks later, I raced one of the Mugen equipped cars at Road Atlanta. I was frankly surprised to find that I prefer the action of the Phantom Grip by a significant margin, over the much more expensive Mugen. The difference was in the feel. The Mugen would turn loose if I overdrove and hit a curb exiting a corner. This upset the balance of the car. With the Phantom Grip there was no spinning of the inside tire, yet I was never conscious of the action of the limited slip--the Phantom Grip just works!

--Bill Perry--

I bought a Phantom Grip from you late last month and used it in an autocross this past Sunday at Danville, VA airport with Triad Sports Car Club. I placed first in D-Mod with my 88' CRX. Usually I struggle on this particular course but finished 1.5 seconds ahead of my competition. Thanks to the Phantom Grip. Just wanted to say thank you. After the 1999 race season, I installed a Phantom Grip Limited Slip in my ITC Honda CRX. In 2000 I have run nine races, and won all of them but one. My friend Vesa and I were so far in front in that race that we just played around with each other, while talking on the radio. Wins included the Pro IT Series Championship and the SARRC Invitational Championship race. Without question the Phantom Grip has made my Honda faster.

-- Will Perry--

I purchased a Phantom Grip for my CRX from you this past winter and it worked out very well. I used it for a 6 hour endurance race and WON!! The second pace car was 7 laps down. I've since turned the car into an oval track (asphalt) racer (stripped it out and added a full roll cage).

Price of stiffer springs...

UPGRADE your Phantom Grip Limited Slip Conversion Kit with our Spring Tuning Kit. Only $29.95 U.S.
                  93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                  02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                  05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Working...
                  X