Internal Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal Questions...

OK as some of u know , i am purchasing a used 99 miata motor. And Ive read all of you alls discussions about the camshafts-piston-duration-lift. And it was very very informative, but ive got a few questions.

1. When installing the 99 miata camshafts/solid lifters is there anything extra involved. I was reading the interchangeability faq, and i read this

"The only hard part is setting the lash. Using the 99+ cams in a M1 head requires using shims that are .020-.030" thicker since the cam basecircle and valve stem are slightly different. You will have to install the cams, measure the cold lash, and then order the required size shims. From the factory they come in 2.75mm - 3.75mm thickness about every .002 - .003" (~.05-.06mm) "

This only worried me because i have no idea what the "cold lash" "shims" are, i have an idea but im not 100% clear.. ive done alot of engine work but ive never messed with internals before. i was thinkin that the camshafts-lifters will go right into my 93 bp, and is just a matter of swappin the parts out. Anyone care to elaborate?

2. When all this is done what will this increase? top end? Low end? Compression slightly? Horsepower? TQ? And what will help this swap even more?

3. Am i wasting my time installing these camshafts without installing the pistons also? Has this been done before?

4. Would completely swapping out the head internals be a safe route, or a waste of time?

My biggest fear is a bent/broken valve and my only car being out of commission. i have read and read all the threads about this and ivee asked alot of CP people via AIM about this and alot of them are clueless as well.

Dude where are mhy parts????

Comment

If you have the whole Miata engine, then you don't have to worry about the conversion to solid lifters, it already has it. Cold lash is the distance between the lifter and the camshaft. There has to be some room there to allow for heat expansion. Shims are little spaces to decrease that distance if necessary(or using smaller ones to increase the distance). I'm not sure what the standard Miata specs are, you'll have to find that out from someone else. I recommend the miata.net forum if you're using a Miata engine. Lash has nothing to do with how much horsepower and torque you make, it's just a spec that keeps your engine running smoothly.

The cylinder head is much better on the 99-00 Miatas, so use the entire thing. Don't just put the valvetrain into your BP. Which cams are you talking about? If it's the Miata cams, just do what I said, and swap the entire head. With the 99 head combined with VICS, you'll probably see at least 10whp. The stock pistons should be fine for now, but if you're doing a minor build, the Miata 10:1s are cheap. Wisecos are at a good price too.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_automatic
        Dude where are mhy parts????

they are sittin in the garage oackaged and everything, as soon as i get ahold of 105$ im shipping it. its my fault for getting the wrong shiping total. I got 60$ and when i went back it was 105$ to ship it to u. So im not gonna ask u for more momney b/c it was all my fault. But im struggling as it is, so ive tryin to scrap up some extra money to get you your stuff. i havent bought the motor if your thinkin that ive bought the motor and not shipped your stuff yet, but its on hold for me, so thats not even a priority. If you want your money back its understandable...just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
          If you have the whole Miata engine, then you don't have to worry about the conversion to solid lifters, it already has it. Cold lash is the distance between the lifter and the camshaft. There has to be some room there to allow for heat expansion. Shims are little spaces to decrease that distance if necessary(or using smaller ones to increase the distance). I'm not sure what the standard Miata specs are, you'll have to find that out from someone else. I recommend the miata.net forum if you're using a Miata engine. Lash has nothing to do with how much horsepower and torque you make, it's just a spec that keeps your engine running smoothly.

The cylinder head is much better on the 99-00 Miatas, so use the entire thing. Don't just put the valvetrain into your BP. Which cams are you talking about? If it's the Miata cams, just do what I said, and swap the entire head. With the 99 head combined with VICS, you'll probably see at least 10whp. The stock pistons should be fine for now, but if you're doing a minor build, the Miata 10:1s are cheap. Wisecos are at a good price too.

If i were to use the head, what would i do about the intaeke manifold besides the obvious.. I only thought about swappin internals b/c the intake manifold from them miata wont fit int he bay.

Comment

Use everythinng from the Protege, other than the head, valves, springs, retainers, cams etc. The Protege manifold is better.

Comment

I thought that the manifold doesnt mount up...But im thinkin it will fit with a 99 gasket instead of the protege gasket tho. right?

Comment

does the miata intake mani split in 2 like the pros if so maybe you could make a hybrid mani??? I'm clueless just tryin to help...good luck
                '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
                Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

Hmmm, that's a pickle. It won't matter if you get the Miata gasket, since the Protege manifold with be the same shape as it's gasket and you won't get very good airflow. Let me dig around on the Miata site and see what I can get. You should join while you're at it. My name is Josh Cosford aka Protege GT on that site..

Comment

This is what you're going to have to do. Some custom work.

Flyin' Miata is the world leader in Miata performance and well-engineered, proven Miata MX5 components. We offer parts for a full range of Mazda Miata, MX5 and Eunos Roadsters vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                    X