SOHC Turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOHC Turbo?

Hi i'm a new member to the site and i just recently got my brothers wrecked protege and i have been fixing it. i researched and found that i wasn't so fortunant to get the DOHC model. my question is, is it even worth turboing the SOHC model? can it be done as easily as the DOHC? and will it even go as fast? i am thinking of just swapping to the DOHC but i dont know how much the cost and i dont know where to get performance parts for it. if anyone knows any help would be great.

You can find the DOHC engine on ebay fairly regularly, and often the turbo version as well.

Comment

Yes , turbo can be done really easy and yes she can be fast.
      even with the auto tranny
      1st sohc auto
      2nd sohc turbo auto
      3rd sohc turbo 5 speed
      4th dohc swap turbo
      5th KLDE
      6th 1994 323

Comment

Originally posted by sohc 1.8t
        Yes , turbo can be done really easy and yes she can be fast.
        even with the auto tranny

Did you have to have a manifold custom built for that turbo??
        93 Protege DX *dead* =(

Comment

Originally posted by temp
          Did you have to have a manifold custom built for that turbo??
          yes it was made in Puerto Rico
          1st sohc auto
          2nd sohc turbo auto
          3rd sohc turbo 5 speed
          4th dohc swap turbo
          5th KLDE
          6th 1994 323

Comment

oh neat, I'd like to pick one of those up. how much did it run you?
            I'm sitting on the 1.8 sohc and would like to see what some boost would do to it
            93 Protege DX *dead* =(

Comment

Honestly if you dont have the money to swap to the DOHC motor you dont have the money to turbo your car correctly so it is still reliable. Still its your choice. DOHC motors can be had for as little as $200 some have said for alot cheaper than that at local junk yards running specials.

Yeah you can boost the SOHC, but IMO its not worth it. In the end its all up to you and where you wanna go with the car, what your goals are.

Comment

Sohc turbo... not really worth it. as tweaks has pointed you are better off with a swap. the dohc swap _should_ be less expencive than a sohc turbo project. a proper built mani for the sohc can cost as much as a BP swap. The BP swap is not hard to do either.

pull the B8
                swap the fuel rail wring harness to the BP, tranny
                splice in the VICS
                drop in the BP
                wire the 4(g) disty and VICS to the wiring harness at the ECU
                change ECU's

fill up the fulids
                troubleshoot, double check
                drive home. this is with your current SOHC wiring harness.
                When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                So his engine he goosed
                With much too much boost,
                And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

With my current setup I don't have room to do an engine swap, a turbo may cost as much. But! I can install it where I am without renting a garage or hiring a shop to install an engine. Once I get the room the BpT is definatly going in!
                  93 Protege DX *dead* =(

Comment

You don't really need a lot of money to turbo a sohc motor, and you do not need expensive parts to do it. most of the parts on my car are used and they work just as good as new ones but without the high sticker price. trust me it is worth it if you play your cards right.
                    you can get really good hp out of a sohc motor. Yes a bp swap will be nice too but if you are not a mechanic you will end up paying more for the swap than the turbo and trust me you will be faster.
                    1st sohc auto
                    2nd sohc turbo auto
                    3rd sohc turbo 5 speed
                    4th dohc swap turbo
                    5th KLDE
                    6th 1994 323

Comment

I dont want to be rude to ya sohc 1.8t, but i think there's a reason why you're the only one on here who's actually done it. several more have tried but failed, take that in mind kornwaffle when u make a final choice.

93' 5spd DX
                      R.I.P

Comment

Listen, half of the people here thinks that the sohc motor was the worst mistake that mazda ever made, and people like you are giving them (people here)a reason to think so,
                        why not prove them wrong? I seen the1/4 times on some of the cars here with dohc motor and i tell ya' there's not one that impress me and im not saying that my car is a bullet because is not but i dare to say is the fastest sohc (i think) here.By the way if you find a n/a dohc here automatic that run a 14.9 1/4 time let me know.why n/a and not turbo?
                        because thats the point " do not waste your time with a sohc and do a bp swap"
                        1st sohc auto
                        2nd sohc turbo auto
                        3rd sohc turbo 5 speed
                        4th dohc swap turbo
                        5th KLDE
                        6th 1994 323

Comment

Originally posted by sohc 1.8t
                          Listen, half of the people here thinks that the sohc motor was the worst mistake that mazda ever made, and people like you are giving them (people here)a reason to think so,
                          why not prove them wrong? I seen the1/4 times on some of the cars here with dohc motor and i tell ya' there's not one that impress me and im not saying that my car is a bullet because is not but i dare to say is the fastest sohc (i think) here.By the way if you find a n/a dohc here automatic that run a 14.9 1/4 time let me know.why n/a and not turbo?
                          because thats the point " do not waste your time with a sohc and do a bp swap"
                          i have an sohc motor. i've been working on my mazda for 3 years now. if you think i am taking out of my ass by all means speak your mind. i am more than willing to grind you into the ground.

there are reasons the sohc is an inferior motor. and for the price of the sohc turbo manifold you can get a BP engine. you know what... most of the tools needed to do a turbo, are needed to do a bp swap. all you need is 8 hours and a hoist(you can rent that for a day). listen people boing the sohc have been around longer than you have owned your car. listen!!! just because it is in your car does not make it an engine worth tuning. the B8 is an engine mazda produce for fuel economy.

last time i checked people interested in power are not interested in fuel economy. If you want to be ****tard about this go ahead. it is your one spend it as you please. If you ant my advice. i'm telling you to scrap the B8 and go BP. but seeing that you are a) to ignorant, b) too stupid, or c) too stubborn to listen to people who have tried this before you. have fun.

i've turboed a sohc and i have had nothign but trouble. i scraped the project in hopes of a F2t, swap again a failure. you done what to learn from people who have gone before you fine...

STFU, when we say other wise!

Enjoy your project,
                          your friendly neighborhood supermoderator, and former owner of a POS sohc turbo motor.
                          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                          So his engine he goosed
                          With much too much boost,
                          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Dang, why all the hostillity? Turbo a SOHC... do a BP swap... wtf cares? I have a BP and can't run a 14.9 unless you put a top-fuel car behind me
                            '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                            '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                            '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                            '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                            '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                            '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                              i have an sohc motor. i've been working on my mazda for 3 years now. if you think i am taking out of my ass by all means speak your mind. i am more than willing to grind you into the ground.

there are reasons the sohc is an inferior motor. and for the price of the sohc turbo manifold you can get a BP engine. you know what... most of the tools needed to do a turbo, are needed to do a bp swap. all you need is 8 hours and a hoist(you can rent that for a day). listen people boing the sohc have been around longer than you have owned your car. listen!!! just because it is in your car does not make it an engine worth tuning. the B8 is an engine mazda produce for fuel economy.

last time i checked people interested in power are not interested in fuel economy. If you want to be ****tard about this go ahead. it is your one spend it as you please. If you ant my advice. i'm telling you to scrap the B8 and go BP. but seeing that you are a) to ignorant, b) too stupid, or c) too stubborn to listen to people who have tried this before you. have fun.

i've turboed a sohc and i have had nothign but trouble. i scraped the project in hopes of a F2t, swap again a failure. you done what to learn from people who have gone before you fine...

STFU, when we say other wise!

Enjoy your project,
                              your friendly neighborhood supermoderator, and former owner of a POS sohc turbo motor.
                              first the coment wasn't for you dick head and second what are you scared that a sohc give the run for your money ?ass face. second what make you think that doing an engine swap will solve the problems you had before,don't blame the car if your a moron and din't know how to work on it. can you accept that there are better cars than yours out there with less motor?
                              i wish you could be around so ican show you fuel economy "****tard". i have you
                              and your car for lunch
                              1st sohc auto
                              2nd sohc turbo auto
                              3rd sohc turbo 5 speed
                              4th dohc swap turbo
                              5th KLDE
                              6th 1994 323

Comment

Working...
                              X