mx-3 manifold -> 92 pro sohc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mx-3 manifold -> 92 pro sohc

when i had my mx-3 it had the same motor as my sohc pro ....

but it had a header type exsaust, so my question is will it bolt onto the dohc in a 92 pro ? it would give some kind of gain right ?

i ask this because i AM going to swap a new motor into my 92 pro. but i also have a 91 pro that is dieing and will put that motor into it, its the wifes automatic car. and i still want to give it some kind of kid hauling power =)

and it will boost me up some till tax time for my swap
    "im not a mechanak, but i can "WING IT"

"no i cant spell"

ill add some pics soon

SOHC and DOHC motors have different exhaust ports?... or was it just the bolt pattern?...or both?...Baahhh! anyway, they don't interchange.
    '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
    Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

HE is talkin about hte 1.6 sohc mx3 motors, and the 1.6sohc protege motors. i dont know if there theexact same motors...but they look the same....the exhasut manifold should swap..

Comment

The SOHC exhaust manifold will not fit the DOHC. Look for a 94 lx in a junkyard, they have the header style exhaust manifold you are looking for.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
          HE is talkin about hte 1.6 sohc mx3 motors, and the 1.6sohc protege motors. i dont know if there theexact same motors...but they look the same....the exhasut manifold should swap..
          I've never seen a 92 1.6 SOHC protege. Also, aren't the newer proteges (2nd/3rd gen) 1.5s ?
          '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
          Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

Originally posted by CBlaze
            I've never seen a 92 1.6 SOHC protege. Also, aren't the newer proteges (2nd/3rd gen) 1.5s ?
            95-98 DX/LX = 1.5L (Z5-DE)
            95-98 ES = 1.8L (BP-DE, same as the 1st gen LX)

99-01' DX/LX = 1.6L (ZM-DE)
            99-00 ES = 1.8L (FP-DE)
            '01 ES, '01 LX (optional), MP3, '02 = 2.0L (FS-DE, this is the engine in the 9sec 323 )
            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

oh dam....i thoought he was talkin about a sohc pro...oops

yea **** wont work!!

Comment

Yeah there are no 1.6 pros, just the 323s, well not from 90-94 anyway. The only thing I can recommend is, Maz1.8T has access to a sohc motor(this is all the 1.8 By the way). You can PM him to see if he can get the DOHC gasket, and see if the SOHC ports match up. If you can wait long enough I will do it when I rebuild my motor. It might be as early as 2 weeaks, ot it might be in two months i'm not really sure yet. If the ports match up, then get the Pacesetter, or whichever 1.8 DOHC header you would like, and redrill the holes for the SOHC bolt pattern. More metal will have to be welded on the flange as you can see in this pic maz1.8T has posted in another thread.

This is the DOHC manifold on the SOHC motor. Both are 1.8's.

Comment

sorry for the type'o was late to hit the street races, but to clarify, i was asking about the 1.8L SOHC. from the mx3 -> the protege (both sohc) for just some boost befor i do the bpt swap

it should add power ? some if not better airflow?

just looking for cheep perk ups for the family hauler =)
                  Last edited by tempunlimited; 11-06-2004, 01:43 AM.
                  "im not a mechanak, but i can "WING IT"

"no i cant spell"

ill add some pics soon

Comment

I honestly don't think it'll make enough of a difference to warrant the work involved. Not only that it'll probably be a little bit costly to get someone to weld more meat to the DOHC flange to drill out new ones for the SOHC pattern. Not worth it if you're looking for a cheap mod IMO.

Sorry I Wasn't reading your last post correctly. IIRC the 1.8 in the MX-6 is a V-6 is it not? Either way i'm not too sure if it would work anyways. There's only one way to find out, try it. IF you can find one for cheap enough, or a damaged one would be better, see if it fits, if not you wount be out too much.
                    Last edited by Tweeaks; 11-06-2004, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X