New cam grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New cam grinder

There's a cam grinding company in my area who has just informed me that he's going to start doing Mazda cams. He has a few good grinds already engineered, and for $250US plus the price of cores or exchange, he'll grind your cams. Let me know if anyone wants more information.

Do they need 2 exhaust cams?

What's there reputation?

Does price include shipping?
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

what would be a price on KL cams?

Comment

More info plz! I want to know how these compare to mike323's regrinds...

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
        Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

mike323 does em for 250 i think.....why choose them over him?
          91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
          Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

It doesn't hurt to have more than one source for cam grinding. Who says I can't try both guys and see which ones give me more power? Randy Stocker in his Miata tried like, 5 different sets of cams before getting to where he is now. Plus this guy does 4 different grinds, from a more mild set-up, to 9000RPM cams. Please not, that he will get the cams for you, it'll just cost a few bucks extra, and it doesn't matter if they're intake or exhaust cams, he'll do either. I'll contact him and have him send me the cam lift/duration info and his e-mail address. He's been doing work on Fireflys, Swifts etc for 12 years, and has decided to broaden his horizons.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
              Doing 4 cams, you would probably score a deal. If they're KLZE cams, then you'd probably have to have them out of your car and send them to him, since he's not going to be able to find a KLZE cam set in the junkyard.

Comment

Ok, well his name is also Mike, so we'll have to call him by his whole name, Mike Cove, as to avoid confusion with the other cam grinder Mike323. Here's 3 of his proven cam grinds.

210----------------.340"
                218----------------.350"
                226----------------.375"

The first number is duration at .050" lift, and the second is total lift. I'm most likely going to go with the second cam. If you'd like to contact him about doing grinds, or for other applications(such as the KL), e-mail him at mcove@execulink.com

Comment

Can he make some for turboed cars? I know that the GTX cams are different from the n/a ones, so pretty much make a GTX cam would be nice.
                  BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                  2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Yes, he can. The cams are interchangable between all hydraulic lifter BPs. You wouldn't want a whole lot more duration with the GTX, just more lift though. I'm sure you could work something out with him....

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                      I can do you KL cams, I have several grinds available. I'm "mikeseli" in PT so I'm sure you heard about me.
                      92 323 with BP DOHC
                      ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
                        Ok, well his name is also Mike, so we'll have to call him by his whole name, Mike Cove, as to avoid confusion with the other cam grinder Mike323. Here's 3 of his proven cam grinds.

210----------------.340"
                        218----------------.350"
                        226----------------.375"

The first number is duration at .050" lift, and the second is total lift. I'm most likely going to go with the second cam. If you'd like to contact him about doing grinds, or for other applications(such as the KL), e-mail him at mcove@execulink.com
                        The problem with 90% of cam grinders is that they don't have a clue on which orientation to position the master. They think it doesn't matter. I'm bringing this up since most new cam lobes are assymetrical. In other words the opening and closing ramps are different. You want a quick ramp for opening and a more relax ramp when closing. For a cam grinder to figure this out he'll need to send every master out to have it analysed, or have the necessary tools to do so. Like I said before 90%+ don't do this so you end up with a grind that can do damage to the engine in higher rpms. Another question to ask your guy is how he determined his 0.050" duration without knowing the lifter diameter. Regrinding the KL cams is even more coplicated since you need to know the rotation of each camshaft and on the KL engine it's not simple by just looking at the camshafts.

I offer several grinds as well, but one thing is for sure the 226deg @ 0.050" which your guy is offering won't even idle at 1400rpms.
                        92 323 with BP DOHC
                        ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Still didn't answer if the price is including shipping, or is that covered by the customer.

Is there anyone else online useing his cams, have they posted their results.

unfortunatley not everyone has the money to go through 5 sets of cams ..
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

If you guys want more information, you should contact him. Mike, I realize the size of those last cams, as he already told me they make power at 9000RPM. You should also know I'm going to get your grinds also. For the price both of you are charging, it's not that expensive, and it doesn't hurt to try different cams.

Comment

Working...
                            X