engine swap advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine swap advice

I am really agonizing over this. I want to swap out the engine in my protege LX for more power. Do I go turbo or V6? Turbo is easier to swap, but I can get V6 wrecked MX-3's everwhere in Massachusetts. I would imagine the car would kick ass with 6 under the hood. Turbo pegs the cool meter, but I'm just not sure...

Help

Originally posted by tom
    I am really agonizing over this. I want to swap out the engine in my protege LX for more power. Do I go turbo or V6? Turbo is easier to swap, but I can get V6 wrecked MX-3's everwhere in Massachusetts. I would imagine the car would kick ass with 6 under the hood. Turbo pegs the cool meter, but I'm just not sure...

Help
    do a search in the swap section. your best bet is to leave the mx3 v6 alone. it only comes with like 5 extra hp more then the bp. if you do the swap id get all the mx3 parts requierd for the swap and drop the klde(mazda mx6 v6/ford probe gt) or the klze(jdm 200 hp v6) in it. good luck and welcome

heres a couple for ya.

Last edited by Turpro; 02-15-2006, 07:44 PM.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

The V6 option has always intriqued me. My biggest problem is I can't find a suitable donor MX3. Nice thing is the yard I go to will do a front cut of any car in stock for $400, so now i'm just waiting for a GS to roll on through.

93' 5spd DX
      R.I.P

Comment

400$ for a front cut? thats sweet man! you'd save yourself a lot of money in the long run with the V6 swap, just swap out the entire front end! then sell your protege stuff!

then you'd just need the rear of the mx-3 to go with it oh well, start with the front and work your way back, haha

JACK
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

It's funny cause all the V6 MX-3'ers are moving to 2.5L V6's... as it is more power... why would you go with a 1.8L V6 when you can go 2.5L V6 all aluminum block?

Take Turpro's advice and go with a 2.5L V6... it should just drop right in, well it does on a MX-3.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
          Member of MX-3.com
          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
            It's funny cause all the V6 MX-3'ers are moving to 2.5L V6's... as it is more power... why would you go with a 1.8L V6 when you can go 2.5L V6 all aluminum block?

Take Turpro's advice and go with a 2.5L V6... it should just drop right in, well it does on a MX-3.
            so much **** has to be swapped over, that swapping in the k8 is a nice stepping stone before the ZE goes in... that and it gives time for the ZE to be built for some... I know thats what Mike is doing.

But yeah ZE > k8 anyday...
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

If I were to find a 2.5 V6, what cars are they native to and should I buy the whole front clip? Is the transmission also a bolt in? I'm thinking I want to do a 200hp V6. I could wipe the smiles off some V6 Jettas around here....

Comment

BP turbo owns.
                BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

What are your goals with this swap? Do you want a reliable daily driver or a monster race car....or both
                  -------------------------
                  '91 LX
                  '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                  -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                  well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by elscotto80
                    BP turbo owns.
                    x2... esp for modded vw's

Comment

Good question

The car is not a dailey driver. Its a toy in the summer on sunny days. I want more power but am not looking to race it. I do want the relaibility to be able to take it on a trip if I want to. Heres a dumb question. I can buy all the parts for BPT (Ie: manifold, Turbo, piping, harness etc) will the stock usdm 1.8 DOHC handle the boost or is the compression all wrong? Id be happy with 160-170hp. Stand alone engine computer would be a must and good tuning, but will the block handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by tom
                        Good question

The car is not a dailey driver. Its a toy in the summer on sunny days. I want more power but am not looking to race it. I do want the relaibility to be able to take it on a trip if I want to. Heres a dumb question. I can buy all the parts for BPT (Ie: manifold, Turbo, piping, harness etc) will the stock usdm 1.8 DOHC handle the boost or is the compression all wrong? Id be happy with 160-170hp. Stand alone engine computer would be a must and good tuning, but will the block handle it?
                        Good question, dumb question eh?

Definitely go with the turbo. There will be no room to work under you hood with a V6 stuffed in there.

If you do it right, you can make a very reliable BPT. You can easily see those numbers, even higher. The BP block will handle the boost just fine, after all its the same block as in the GTX, just different internals. You might be able to get away with using the stock internals, but if you want reliability and longevity, add some pistons and rods to that list and your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by tom
                          Good question

Save the money spent on a standalone, and get a full GTX setup.. ECU, harness, turbo, lines, corksport downpipe.... and enjoy. Stock boost is like 8 psi, and will output just slightly above your 170hp goal. The block can take that 8psi all day long w/o issue. Get it tuned for best MPG, and you would have a peppy daily driver fun car... that if someday down the road you decide to make into a badass your already setup to do so.

Comment

Working...
                          X