No announcement yet.

really high idle after IAC replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i removed it....but that's about it.
    why the hell does it have to be on there anyway?
    i figured it had to be there for a reason. I just haven't one to ace hardware to find another locknut for it.
    now that i'm finallly off for the next 2 days, i'm gonna go get one and try it out.
    my idle still likes to bounce and i narrowed at least part of the problem to the air valve that sits underneath the dynamic chamber. i tested it according to the manual, and the rubber plunger piece never moved when i heated it up. that part's freakin 230 bucks from the dealership.
    Luckily since I'm now working at a repair shop i can get it for a better price.
    Chris
    94 protege lx - gone and will be missed
    2008 Mazda3 - recently acquired

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're Stupid."
    -John Wayne
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2978373

Comment

the part you are talking about is called the dash pot. it is there to allow the t-body butterfly to return to closed position slowly to keep the car from stumbling when the butterfly is suddenly closed like when coming to a stop. it can even cause the car to stumble bad enough to kill the engine coming to stops. you need to push on it and make sure it's still spring. when you push it all the way down it should slowly extend when you release it. and on your idle prob. it sounds like you have a vacuume leak causing your car to hunt for an idle. get a cheap can of carb cleaner and with the engine running spray it around the intake and t-body and vacuume lines. you should hear a change in rpm as you spray it in any area that has a leak. most of the time this should increase rpm as carb cleaner finds its way into the motor via a vacuume leak, but sometimes they will decreace rpm. it just depends on how big the vacuume leak is.

Comment

I'm not talking about the dashpot.
        the little threaded piece of metal that jammed the throttle plate open was to the left of the dashpot, facing sideways. it worked it self outward (to the right) thus, holding the throttle plate open. it can't be any longer than about a half inch...I posted a pic b4, but i think it's gone by now. its also screwed in with an allen wrench.
        i was already playing with the dashpot to make sure i could rule it out with the loud rpm situation.
        So far, I've replaced the ISC/IAC valve gasket, throttle body gasket, and dynamic chamber gasket. I'm still gonna see about getting a locknut so i can put that little threaded stud back where it was. I've already tried using throttle body cleaner around the vacuum lines and various intake mating surfaces...i may try that again just for good measure.
        Chris
        94 protege lx - gone and will be missed
        2008 Mazda3 - recently acquired

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're Stupid."
        -John Wayne
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2978373

Comment

Working...
        X