No announcement yet.

HELP : Car stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

be careful spraying brake cleaner into your engine if you do....while it works great to find vaccum leaks....since working at uhaul i have seen 3 or 4 trucks go up in flames because of this....Funny when its someone elses car...if you do use it bring a hose with ya.

Comment

and get that timing belt changed. It's a 2 hours labor. Around here it's $70 per hour, and it's well worth a toe to a garage to do it, or finding yourself dead on the side of the road.
      NOW WITH SPINNER HUB CAPS

Comment

well im definately not goin to spray anything, but the timing belt i have been considering for a while now anyway so i may plan on doing that relatively soon.
        Tag Team

Comment

How can you tell if it is the AFM, besides that the dealer installed it. One awesome spectacular tool is something called a Multimeter, it tests resistance, voltage, current.

Those Chilton books that everybody critisizes go into detail about sensor testing. I checked my Mazda 323 with 1.8 DOHC engine and tranny using a multimeter. In the book it will tell how much resistance is suppose to be read at close position and at full throttle. The same goes with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). But I know for a fact TPS will make the car run good, but high in RPM's. The same goes for the injectors, 1.8 DOHC suppose to read from 12 to 16 Ohms, so it will display if the injector is open or working good.

About the O2 sensor, start the vehicle and check the correct voltage reading connecting one cable to the + and the other one to the chassis as it is very well explained in the book manual. Not to say all, but most 1990-94 Protege's and 323 have a little diagnostic box, its very relaible as long as you know the correct reading using the chart that explains the LED readings. A Multimeter will test the distributor, ignition coil, etc. etc. Will save you a lot of easter egging or "wild guessing".

Vacuums, something called a vacuum tester will tell not only vacuum leaks,but also if any valve is stickin or if a valve is stayin opened all the time, it will tell timing problems. Compression tester obviously, compression, you may be amazed how sometimes a car feels strong and one piston is tending to die. Light gun for correct timing...

Last but not least, fuel pressure tester, and this is a no brainer, TOOLS OF THE TRADE to any car enthusiast. Will need to spend some Washingtons and Hamiltons, but at the long run will give you peace of mind and self confidence when facing future headaches for those who like to live on the rev side.

The most basic of all, start with spark plugs, see how they burn, are they oily?, look brownish? are all working at the same time? To those who are minimalists, it all ends up in AIR/MIXTURE AND TIMING.

It is better to be rev it than been towing it...
          Last edited by WTF; 06-01-2004, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Use spray carb cleaner for intake leak check. Waaaaaay safer.

Comment

Way safer in what way, its a multimeter, unless you grab the spark plug cables all soaked wet barefooted. That would be totally unK_ool.

Comment

Working...
              X