Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lotsa smoke on startup

Hey sup guys

So I had my pro parked on ramps for 3 days, did an oil change and swapped the alternator, temporaily fixed an exhaust leak and thats pretty much it. I started it briefly after the oil change just to get the oil movin around, was in the garage at the time with all the doors shut, there wasn't any smoke to be seen.

Today I back it out and BAM! clouds of blue smoke, they've tapered off now, but when i started it I was damn surprised.

Does anybody know why it would have just randomly started doing that?

I'm going to take it for a drive now and I'll see what happens.

Nick
    Posted By: Wheresthericego

The BP crank is made out of invincible.
    sigpic

has it done it again?

Comment

fresh oil + sitting for a cpl days + worn valve stem seals = lota smoke on startup ... have someone follow you in another car to see if it continues to smoke while you accelerate and slow down in gear .

Comment

well I haven't really been able to see if its done it again...I was hanging my head out the window to see if it kept smoking but that didn't work

The head has new valve stem seals but this is the first oil change sine I did them.

I'll let it sit overnight and go start it up tomorrow to see if it smokes.

Nick

sigpic

Comment

didnt know you had some head work done .. was it a complete rebuild?

Comment

I've got new pistons, rings, valves, valve guides, valve stem seals, and a new turbo, and mine still smokes when I decelerate. I just don't get it. I have a catch can, that's working, and it still smokes.

Comment

I have some mystery smoke as well, but it's not that bad.

Comment

umm..well the head was decked, valves and seats were re-cut, new stem seals, and the guides were checked. Everythign was supposed to be ok.

Update: I started it up and there was no smoke, maybe i'd have to leave it for a longer amount of time.

Nick
                Last edited by jumpncrash; 09-17-2008, 03:38 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, so I started it today and it smoked, not as much as the other day but it still did...this is retarded, I'll try to get somebody to follow me and see what it does.

hey redheddude...are you turbo, cuz it could be your seals

Nick

sigpic

Comment

Is your pcv system ok? In my new b3000 there was a screw up in the factory pcv valves and it caused smoke like this after sitting for a day. Luckily my warranty took care of that.

Comment

the valve stems could be warn...that will cause smoking during start up and decel (due to vac). some machine shops might skip that step since they rarely do fail...but hell i even check concentricity lol.

JACK.
                      -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                      http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I checked the valve stems myself though, and if I recall corectly they were all within spec...course that doesn't mean that if the guides were a bit worn too the resulting oil clearance was too big...

I don't know about the pcv system, how could I check it? I think in the manual it says like blow through it and one way air should flow and the other it shouldn't. So if that checks out does it automatically mean its OK?

Nick

sigpic

Comment

Putting a catch-can between the PCV and the intake mani will also help. I had to do it with mine. It still smokes a little, but not near as bad.

Comment

lol i meant valve guides my bad.
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

yeah, the guides were checked, he said they were a bit worn, but that they should be ok...

Nick

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X