Running on 3 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on 3 cylinders

Well I finally got my BPT to idle and run alright. It smokes a lot since it runs very rich at idle. When I take out my spark plugs cyl #3 is still white, wet, but white. Its getting spark from the distributer but after that I dont know. The exhaust tone give it away too that its only running on 3. What do you guys recommend checking out? Anything will help, thanks.
    Chris
    MX-3turbo
    BPT engine swap, Protege Filled Engine mounts, Protege Tranny, Protege Axels, Protege Flywheel, ACT Street Performance Clutch, Spearco Intercooler with Custom End Tanks, Custom Intake, Custom Piping, Custom Exhaust, Konig Mozart Muffler, Walbro Fuel Pump, Pacesetter Adjustable Short Shifter, CorkSport Front and Rear Strut Bars, SRD Lower Tie Bar, Magnecor 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires, MSD 6A Ignition, Blaster II Coil, A'PEXi S-AFC, GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer, 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 820watt Power Acoustic Amp, Autometer Guages, Blue Underbody Neons, GS Spoiler, MS Side Skirts, and ADR Fuel Rims(17"x7").

the wire could be getting old and shorting on the block, you might have a bad plug, you might have a bad contact in the wire, the timming might be ****ed(long-looonnngg shot), do you have proper compression in cyl 3?
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Or, gulp.......... you could have a broken piston arm. That happened to my Protege and it was not very audible. The mechanic at Mazda let me hear it by putting a tube from my ear to each cylinder and one clicked inside while the other's didn't. I doubt it's that but just letting you know what happened to me so you can consider it since you're getting a spark. I can't remember what the spark color was, though.

Comment

Im getting a compression guage tomorrow to check it out and a timing gun as well. Hopefully this helps it out and I hope I dont have as bad luck as mannydingo did. Where did you put the tube? Right where the spark plugs go into?
        Chris
        MX-3turbo
        BPT engine swap, Protege Filled Engine mounts, Protege Tranny, Protege Axels, Protege Flywheel, ACT Street Performance Clutch, Spearco Intercooler with Custom End Tanks, Custom Intake, Custom Piping, Custom Exhaust, Konig Mozart Muffler, Walbro Fuel Pump, Pacesetter Adjustable Short Shifter, CorkSport Front and Rear Strut Bars, SRD Lower Tie Bar, Magnecor 8.5mm Spark Plug Wires, MSD 6A Ignition, Blaster II Coil, A'PEXi S-AFC, GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer, 2 12" Kenwood Subs, 820watt Power Acoustic Amp, Autometer Guages, Blue Underbody Neons, GS Spoiler, MS Side Skirts, and ADR Fuel Rims(17"x7").

Comment

I remeber I used to see my dad put the tube on the block..
          I don't think he ever put it on the valve cover.

Maybe you should stop by a mazda dealer and speak to a tech... Sometimes the mechanics will give you some helpful tips.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
          X