If it ain't one thing.... back to the tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it ain't one thing.... back to the tranny

So - I got my '91 DX a few weeks ago. Shifting was wonky but it turned out to be electrical connections on the automatic. Fixed that and all was joyous. Minor work getting it nicer - even got the AC working. Going to work last week - pfft... died. Timing belt change (and water pump, and idler tensioner - I DO pay attention to the good advice) and I'm on the road again.

Went down to Coulee Dam and back this weekend - 180 mile round trip. No problems, although I noticed on the way back the car smelled like burning ATF. The fluid is grey, and toasty. It also seemed to be over-full. It was starting to stall when coming to a stop. Still shifted fine, but it acted like it would not "slip" at idle.

Up on the ramps, drained out the fluid (phew - stinky). I'm curious if it even WAS the right stuff - it almost looked like thin motor oil (but smelled a little like burnt tranny fluid). Probably a bit less than a gallon - because I poured the contents of the catch bucket into the empty container the new stuff came in. I know this is not ALL the tranny fluid. I took it for a little drive - still shifts fine, goes through all the gears - but stalls out when you put it into drive or reverse or come to a stop without popping it into neutral.

So - any ideas? I'll go do another drain - see what color it is now (how pink it has gotten). The tranny was replaced by a previous owner not too long ago - but the more I work on this little car the more I think that the previous owner needs all her tools taken away from her until she learns to use them correctly.

Yes, I know. Start thinking 5 speed. Perhaps. In about three months the car will get parked and I'll be driving an AMC Eagle - the snow car - and the Protege can get some more love applied to it without having to keep it ready to go in the morning so I can get to work.

In the meantime - I understand automatics slipping too much - but grabbing too much?

Sounds like possibly a bad torque converter. There are other things it could be, but a torque converter is easier to replace than tearing the case open.

Comment

I was wondering if possibly there is some type of electronic "lock up" that is locking up..... but is worn enough that it is not FULLY locking up. If I put it in neutral when I stop, then back into gear and then accelerate, it seems to work alright. Shifts are actually a little firm. This is a JY tranny swapped in by a "mechanic" of questionable skill. The wires into it controlling it when I got it were not fully seating - it only had first and second.

Comment

It should b a locking converter, but I'm not sure if there's a solenoid or electronic controller for it. To be honest, I haven't even looked a BG auto in over 7 years.

Comment

My transmission is shifting through all the gears with the hold button working just fine - but now it feels like the torque converter is locked up. It does NOT slip - matter of fact if I put it into gear and don't start moving it dies. Same thing when I stop - like a car with a manual and you don't put your foot on the clutch when you come up to a light?

Could it be that I have a wiring issue still - that the "lockup" feature is activated? Do I want to test for continuity in the harness (and where is the other end?), or a voltage?

I drained/filled my tranny - the old fluid was pretty black and stinky. With NEW fluid, it grabs even more..... I'm wondering if only the lousy, burnt, bad old fluid slipping was all that allowed me to stop at lights? (I only got the car a few weeks ago, but it did feel like it was better to drop it into neutral at a light - but it would not stall and die until recently. I changed my timing belt last week - that means hands in the engine compartment and if it is wiring I could have pushed/pulled/messed up something.

Comment

Working...
          X