Keeping The Pro And Need Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping The Pro And Need Help!!!

I was going to sell the pro but everybody is too far away....Well I decided I am going to do the head gasket myself. Are there any articles out there that will give me step by step help (besides a Haynes or Chiltons)????
    Help me out guys!!!!

where are you located
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

i've got the factory service manual that would help out alot....to bad i don't have a scanner...
      i can lend some help if you need it are you SOHC or DOHC?
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I have a DOHC and i am located in Kansas City Missouri...

Comment

what exactly are you looking to know?
          if you disconnect every thing from the head, exhaust (intake manifold can stay on), coolant hoses, vacum lines,grounding wires, then you simply remove all of the 10 metric bolts from the valve cover the shiny crome looking ones until you can get the whole valve cover off once that is off you'll need to take out the head bolts 14 or 17 metric i think. rom there you should be able to lift the head right off of the block
          when you have the head off of the block get a razor blad and make sure both the head side and block side have all(every last spec of head gasket removed). from there i would personally put the head gasket on and center it by screwing in a couple of the head bolts while the head is off... then take them back out and do the same thing with them in the head just make sure the head gasket is perfectly aligned as its very important

Comment

Sounds really easy, you know anyone that has a cheap head gasket that wants to sell it to me???? Thank you very much!!!

Comment

And what about the timing chain and all of that and what about the belts like the specifics. Thanks for your help man.

Comment

timing chain.... lol WE DON'T USE THAT EXPIRED ****.... timing belt yeah...
                if you look on the head by the cam gears.. you gotta take the cover off... there is to notches.. and accordingly on the cam gears they have an I and an E on each one standing for intake and exhaust.. put the intake at I and the exhaust at E that will cover for you cam timing unles you have adjustable.
                you shouldn't have the bottom end timing changed much... if that changes um... make sure that the little notch on the plate on the pulley held on by the 4 screws is pointing directly vertical... do all that you can to avoid the belt moving on the lower end in the first place.
                Last edited by FE3-323; 01-20-2004, 12:29 PM.

Comment

NEvermind, I have came to my senses so if anybody wants it IT is up for grabs..... Let me know I am located in Kansas City.

Comment

Don't forget to tell him he has to support the engine as he will have to remove the passenger engine mout brace.
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by merrill818
                      NEvermind, I have came to my senses so if anybody wants it IT is up for grabs..... Let me know I am located in Kansas City.
                      You do know that a head gasket will only run you like 50 bucks.
                      It's not that hard to change, you just have to pull everything surrounding the engine. Then you have to support the engine block with some wood or something as you will be pulling the front engine mount.

It's not that hard. You just need someone to help you ..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

if you're looking for a factory grade pdf format service manual.. it's free .. though i would imagine would NOT be after a while, http://www.323gtx.co.uk/pn/modules.p...download&cid=1

scroll down and click on the 4th link.. that is the service manual you need for your car and has EVERYTHING you'll need.
                        peace

Comment

so are you going to keep the car and try to do that gasket and learn some mechanics and possibly add to your tool collection.....
                          or are you giving up and craping out.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I suggest you get the free instructions you were offered and do the job. It's easy yet hard. The experience is good. Yes, you need to put a jack with a strong wood board on the lifting part and slide it under the oil pan. You will slightly lift the engine so as to take the weight off of it. Another thing, did your car overheat? That means when you take off the cylinder head you will need to take it to a machine shop and have them brush/resurface the head since it probably warped under the heat. They will charge you about $80. You can imagine doing all that work and find it was all for nothing so have the head resurfaced.

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                            so are you going to keep the car and try to do that gasket and learn some mechanics and possibly add to your tool collection.....
                            or are you giving up and craping out.

Comment

Don't forget to let the engine cool for ~24 hours. That can also cause the head to warp when you take it off.
                              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Working...
                              X