Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help, 1990 323 won't start

Well here is the issue i'm having...
    Last weekend me and my brother swapped an engine in my 323, we installed one from a 90 Protege 1.8 SOHC. We also installed an ECU from a 90 Pro (BP47). I started the engine with no exhaust manifold and it kept dying after few seconds, Then we realized the ground wire from the engine was not connected and it started smoking. Next day I picked up a manifold and installed it with an O2 sensor. The car started right up and i let it run for about 15 minutes. I repeated it about 4 times and there were no issues. Next day however I went to start the car up, and NOTHING. The engine turns, eventually starts and then dies after few seconds ( dies even quicker when I press the gas pedal). I have a 93 323 sitting in my driveway, and I took MAF out of it and that still did not help. I did notice the fuel pump relay makes a loud ticking sound ( is that normal). Could that ground wire that was not connected damage something? (again the car ran good after that for some time) Will the fuel pump relay from 93 323 work with this ECU? All vacuum lines look fine, unless we connected them wrong...I still have a lot of parts on the engine that I took out, not sure if all of them will work. Please help me

Is there gas in it?

Look at your spark plugs for signs of trouble.

Disconnect a fuel line somewhere after the filter. Get a paper clip. Use it to jump the F/P and GND terminals in your DIAGNOSIS box. when you turn the key to ON there should be a fuel fountain wherever you opened the line.

For that matter, see if it starts with the fuel pump jumped. If it does you might have a bad relay.

Look for vacuum leaks.

Make sure all your electronics are plugged in.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

+1 look at the spark plugs see if they smell like gas after trying.
      Make sure they spark as well.

Comment

I took the back seat off today, and you can feel the fuel pump working... I have an extra set of spark plugs, i'll go ahead and change that tomorrow morning.

Comment

ok here is the update...I took a bunch of sensors from the old motor and put them in the car. Now it takes my car about 3 minutes to start. Once it does the rpms jump up and down for few secs and I have to press the gas pedal so the car does not die. when this process is done the car runs perfect... occasionally it dies on me when i'm taking of from a traffic light... Should I try some fuel injector cleaner? I eas told to use sea foam.. is it safe to use on this car? my last question is, can I use a 1.6 ECU on a 1.8 SOHC? I did replace the spark plugs

Comment

what about your timing? since u did the swap u might have to redo the timing on it cuz its a different engine. see if that works. i had the same thing on mine after the rebuild except mine is a DOHC 1.8L

Comment

if timing was bad, would the car run better once it warms up? I seem to have the issue when the engine is cold, once it warms up the car starts right away (i do have to tap the gas pedal for it to start though)... it does want to die sometimes, especially after trying to take off when it was idle

Comment

Originally posted by rngbartek View Post
                if timing was bad, would the car run better once it warms up? I seem to have the issue when the engine is cold, once it warms up the car starts right away (i do have to tap the gas pedal for it to start though)... it does want to die sometimes, especially after trying to take off when it was idle
                nope
                don't think so
                timing doesn't care about temp

Comment

what is your fuel pressure? base ignition timing?
                  2003.5 MSP number 97 (summer ride/open track car)
                  1998 Protege 1.5L/auto (wifes car)
                  1990 323 1.6 (winter ride/?)
                  1977 Honda XL100 enduro (project/summer ride)
                  1973 Ford Maverick (347 stroker)

Comment

Ecu?

Is there a difference between BP01 and BP47 ECU ? I just realized I installed an engine from an AWD Pro into a 323, with an ECU from AWD that says BP47 on it. Would this cause my problems?

Comment

im pretty sure thats your problem. since u got a different engine u should get a ECU from the same car that u got the engine or from the car that has the exactly same engine. install the ECU from the car u got the engine and im pretty sure that will solve the problem.

Comment

The engine and ecu are from the same car (pro Awd). I have a 323...

Comment

did you do anything to the wiring harness?

Comment

Harness is still the same.

Comment

sounds like the vaf isnt plugged in

Comment

Working...
                              X