No announcement yet.

Sequential Transmission!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much power has this guy been running? Does he have aim or aol?. I would be very interested if he could make me a plate :-) ..Jon 93 lx/GTR

Comment

I know, this would make an awesome gb, if someone could set it up. I know I would for sure jump on it.

Aside from that, when asking for the gears to be shot peened, what should I ask for if I dont want the straight cut? Which is better straight cut, or not? And why?
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
        I know, this would make an awesome gb, if someone could set it up. I know I would for sure jump on it.

Aside from that, when asking for the gears to be shot peened, what should I ask for if I dont want the straight cut? Which is better straight cut, or not? And why?
        Straigt cut gears are loud, shift into reverse and tell me if you can hear when you back up.
        Helical cut gears the teeth are longer, since instead of being "straight " from one side to the other the are on an angle. so the tooth is "longer" if you will. Also there is more than one tooth in contact at the same time
        If you look at my craptacular drawing, the straight cut gear is on the left, and the helical cut is on the right. THe teeth are longer on the Helical cut because they don' go straight to the otherside
        Attached Files
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I'm still waiting to hear back from Ross....

As far as shot peening, it matters not what type of gears you have. Shot peening is a process of throwing really little balls at the gears at high speed. So you don't "ask" for straight cut or helical shot peening, there is only one basic process.....

Yes straight cut gears are loud and it costs a packet to get a new gearset made up but it all depends on your application - ie racing with a dog box.

I don't think anyone here particulary needs one of those if you can strengthen your regular box but you never know, it is at least an option....

Comment

So how much power is he pushing with this setup?. Im hoping it can handle 300-350

Comment

thats what i'm hoping as well....

i have a feeling that the case flex issue might become its own problem once you take the shaft separation/gear stripping thing out of the equation. You may end up breaking the case but I think you'd be damn unlucky and possibly a bad driver.

i have nothing to back this up with but i believe that 300-350 should be fine with the aforementioned mods but there will always be people who get away with it and those who break a box a month.

i don't know if ross used this with any high power engines but the issues and solutions encountered by him will be similar if not the same for most of us.

you should decide for yourself if you think it will work or not - i reckon it will.

Comment

So most preformance shops can do the shot peening process, or do I need to find an engineering shop?

Any idea on the cost?

Comment

nope, no idea of the cost yet. my box will be out around christmas and then i'll worry about the cost .

you might find a performance shop or two that does it - i don't know, but it'd be a safer bet to find an engineering firm whos done it plenty of times before - its a relatively common engineering practice.

Comment

k, thanks, next question

anyone know of an engineeering shop in dallas, Tx?
                    Oh crap forget it, time to dig out the yellow pages

Comment

Just for info, people in racing use straight cut gears because the helical cut tends to try to "push" the gears away from one another, and that tension is what causes stripping of the teeth and split cases. I know from my limited drag racing experience that dodge motorhome transmissions from the early years are in high demand because they are the only 727 trannys with fully straight cut planetarys which makes them "nearly bulletproof". IF I was going to spend the money building a transmission for MY car, I would personally want to try to get staight cut. Yes they are loud, but if they are set up right they are not as loud as the reverse in my car....lol
                      Bri
                      Just tryinng to make a roachclip racer!
                      Go Fast Drive Well Die Old!

Comment

i know this is an old post but i found some info i posted a few years ago mentioned..

basically the plate mod works a treat and the shot peening did help , however u still blow the gears when u get to another power barrier of around 300hp at the wheels (US dyno)

sicne then i have found u can simply keyway the bearings in the case but migging ot tigging a small spot weld on the outer race then die gridning a small groove into the casing when it slots in and then it can no longer spin..

i have also since gotten the straight cut 3rd and its great! scares grandmas very nicely. also the infini LSD started to break down and i found a special mazdaspeed 4 spider clutchpack LSD like a kaaz and had a billet housing for it made....its been great since.
                        BF 323 wagon, 360whp(dyno dynamics) 12.20@127mph

Comment

i remember reading about the keyway of the bearings... can you relink me to the thread on that?? please & thank you.
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Win Lottery.......... Buy GTR Drivetrain............send out to one of those major WRC builder/suppliers/engineers and tell'em you want to put 700 hp through this set-up.......wait a year or two..........pay out $00,000 and stomp everthing in your path......(sound of alarm clock going off)
                            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

I have that dream every night
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
                              X