Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like my loud car

Comment

let the record show, i actually was lame enough to put a Flowmaster 40 straight through muffler on my car, with a 2.25 inch axle back piping. all custom exhaust hangers and everytihng, ran $190 at meineke. if flowmaster is what you are looking for on your car, the flowmaster 40 muffler will be DEEP enough for you, however, being a 4 cylinder, it sounds good up unitl about 3,500 to 4,000... and still holds it's tone compared to the typical fart can you'll find on the back of the a civic... it's not very raspy at all. the flowmaster 40 on an axle back, next to wil's set up was deeper, but of course, wil had alot better setup than i had. NOW, starting tomorrow afternoon, i'm having a full cat back installed into my car with a straight through resonator to open up my exhaust a hell of a lot more. piping for my intake is also on back order for a couple weeks, and soon i'll have a full intake. now as far as exhaust tone, Festivasrule & BoostedPro can testify to the sound my muffler creates. however, i will forwarn you, without any resonator or glasspak, the flowmaster is WAY too loud for my tastes... thats why i'm having the piping redone and a ceramic resonator installed. the whole entire car drones, and leaving it idle when going to a friend's house or even pulling up to my own house, everybody hears it! i mean, granted it idles similar to a throaty idling 6 cylinder, it is completely 'out of place' sounding on my car... i mean, ****, it's missing the 2 or0 4 cylinders for that sound at idle . now before somebody calls dip****... once you step on the accelerator, it loses all it's appealing sound... shot to ****, rice-o-matic exhaust... i mean, the sound is not indicative of a 4 cylinder, but i'll tell you what, if you want a deep droning sound, go for it. the flowmaster has some of the best free flowing mufflers in the market, it's a shame so many people sell me short for havin one... all i can say, at least i can't shoot grapefruit out the back of my muffler!!
      peace

Comment

was it the single or dual tip? i think im going to get a custom catback with 2 1/4 pipes the 40 (deltaflow) series dual tip, ill keep the resonator. let us hope it sounds good.

MUST KILL HONDA!

oh ya i owned a 6cyl mustang today.
        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

my muffler is a single 2 1/2 inch (if i recall correctly) outlet muffler with a 3 inch non-polished flared tip on it. looks mean as hell in my opinion... i didn't waste my time or money with an afermarket tip yet. in my opinion, single or dual tip makes no difference to me. i'm going to pick the car up in about 15 minutes, going to work, then getting off later tonight... so i'll have about 50+ miles of test driving to give it the ol' butt dyno . i'll let you know what my results are.
          peace

Comment

sweet...keep us posted

Comment

I always felt that the dual DTM tip was the best for a 1st gen Protege. As for flowmasters. I am sorry they sound nothing short of frigin annoying. I don't know if that is what Will had on his car last year at Carlisle and when we went to the VA meet , but I though it was OK. I felt it was a bit to raspy .. I have seen a few cars with flowmasters on and they just don't sound right.

I have a 40 dollar muffler on my protege .. got it from R1 performance, some like it some don't .. plainly whatever. It's deep but then so was the thermal research and Dev. muffler that I had before.

I would suggest getting something that fits the car. To me that is the DTM dual tips. with a cherrybomb(not the red one) as a resonator - premuffler.

And for gods sake guys at least put a little minor tip on the end of the muffler. It doesn't have to be huge. Just a cover or something (chrome).

B1
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

likewise, bruce, no, flowmaster isn't ment for our cars... and you say annoying... i'd rather the low idle than the raspy fart you get from acceleration in most other mufflers. and as far as size, the flowmaster 40 muffler is an ideal fit... let alone most other mufflers, you need custom hangers for the ****in things anyway... regardless... this is what i have
                Stock header, to stock flex pipe to stock cat... then 2 inch tubing going back to a 2 1/4 inch 16 to 17 inch ceramic resonator, 2 inch piping from resonator back to the axle back pipe... then jumping to 2 1/4 into the flowmaster 40... which has a 2 1/4 inch inlet and single 2 1/4 inch outlet. by no ****in means is this an ideal catback system, but it's high flowing, less restrictive than stock, and i can notice the gain in the mid-piping and resonator alone. definately a nice exhaust system, got some lowend back i didn't have before and the high end is a hell of alot better, it feels more throaty, throttle response is about the same, all-in-all, a great feel. for ANY muffler we're talking about, you're going to get some sort of rasp/fart sound out of it.. it's a given. our 4 cylinders don't have the balls to produce the noise an 8 cylinder would. now boostedpro's setup is actually pretty sweet, GTR engine.. GTR header & turbo, highflow cat, 2.5 inch piping and a focuz motorsports muffler... by far THE FASTEST protege i'll ever be in! granted he's running stock boost for the gtr and no standalone, just the gtr ecu, i'd take a fair guess that low 13's would be average for his car... if not a hell of alot better once he gets his clutch fixed ! bottom of the line, the turbo makes up for any fart you may hear, and it's not bad at all... his car has BALLS! if i had to rate flowmaster, i'd give it a 4 out of 10... in 9 months, the muffler looks as ****ty as the day i got it, it's definately not for looks, but if you like a big chrome tip glarring out the back end of your tailpipe, you can get one welded on to there... anyway, good luck
                peace

Comment

my muffler is a single 2 1/2 inch (if i recall correctly) outlet muffler with a 3 inch non-polished flared tip on it. looks mean as hell in my opinion... i didn't waste my time or money with an afermarket tip yet. in my opinion, single or dual tip makes no difference to me. i'm going to pick the car up in about 15 minutes, going to work, then getting off later tonight... so i'll have about 50+ miles of test driving to give it the ol' butt dyno . i'll let you know what my results are.
                  peace

Comment

yes i also have a flowmaster 50 series on my 91 and i love it.
                    single in single out
                    however if your going to inlarge the system from the cat back, i warn you that you will get that deep sound that you desire. but the nosie level of the car(from the muffler) around 65 mph will begin to bother you after the first year. I still love the sound of the car but is annoying on the street.
                    i have had mine on for about 3 years and i going to switch it a 3 chamber flow.

maybe with dual out. hey does any one have a picture of a 1 gen with the dual out 2 or 3 chamber flow.
                    i'd like to see what it looks like.

i will post a pic of my first gen once i find them. (lol)
                    Koroma
                    91 323BG-----------------------
                    Intax springs,PRM Air Intake
                    ST Swaybars, Front upperstrut bar, 15' Prime, Advanced Timing, 2.25 inch-Cat back, Flowmaster, Indiglo gauges, Custom Taillight config

Next Stage
                    J-SPEC GTX kit,Brembo Brake Kit

Comment

of course it's ****in annoying, but i went with a 2 1/4 17 inch long res.. looks really sweet underneath the car, i'll have pics within 2 weeks once i clean up a few things.
                      peace

Comment

Cool i look forward to the pics.
                        I love the amount of attention that the 50 series brings to the car.people car a bit shock that is a 323. if they even figure that out(no decals baby) but i guess im getting out and i want to hear my beats more that muffler at 30 mph.
                        you know what helps is having a stereo with auto Volume control
                        Koroma
                        ST Swaybars, Front upperstrut bar, 15' Prime, Advanced Timing, 2.25 inch-Cat back, Flowmaster, Indiglo gauges, Custom Taillight config

Next Stage

Comment

i suggest also in your exhaust systems a less restrictive cat...i got a catco, and it is amazing the difference it made!

Comment

where did you but such a cat, and was it street legal in your state?

I have a feeling that CA state law is going to frown upon it.
                            let me know so i can start doing some research
                            Koroma

Next Stage

Comment

i got my catco from the local exhaust shop...it was meant for a civic, but they modified it to fit my car

Comment

thanks
                                Koroma

Next Stage

Comment

Working...
                                X