clutchnet clutch kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutchnet clutch kit

I am to the point in my build where its time for a clutch, and I've been eyeballing the clutchnet stage 3, it is the same price as stage 2, but rated for 379tq, which is way more than I need, but it has bushings to make the shift a little smoother than a 6 puck. The car will have 230-250 chp after the turbo is installed.

I'm not real familiar with diferrent brands of clutches, so I'm looking for advice here. If you have a cheaper/proven better alternative, I will take your advice into serious consideration. Other than that, all I really need is confirmation the EGT and Protege clutch (same part numbers on these clutches) will work with my b6t capri XR2 transmission(g5mr). I have a resurfaced flywheel from a protege.

I'm hoping to order this soon, by the time it ships I should have the engine ready, all I lack is simple little things like a timing belt and a water pump..disty o ring.. this is for a 93 protege BP so I hope I posted in the right place?
    1993 Ford Festiva - Fiona/b6 swap
    1997 Ford Aspire - Peaspire/rescued restored and sold
    1994 Ford Aspire - Kiazord/BPG5MR Swap
    1999 Mazda 626 - exDD, sold
    1997 Ford Aspire - Babyspire, stock low miles&clean
    1994 Ford Aspire - Crustyspire, scrapped
    2003 Chrysler T&C - grocery getter

After doing some research, I've read its possible to "overclutch" a drivetrain. A clutch rated for 379 tq won't act right on a car that is only putting out 125/230 HP. I can, but I would rather not pay the 330$ for a clutch, so I doubt I'm going to touch a clutxhnet clutch.

I read here that someone said a klze/93+ 626/probe/mx-6 clutch will work, and have 10mm more friction surface, they had a g series transmission, but are the flywheels really the same minus the bolt pattern for the crank????

If anyone has actually tried it please let me know. There is a southbend clutch for the kl g series, but not the BP, and its rated 264 tq for about 200$.

From what I'm told, I need a clutch to match the transmission I'm using, so I need a g series clutch, I'm just really confused about wether or not a kl g series clutch will work with my drivetrain???? If it really is a viable option it seems like it would be an improvement.
    Last edited by zoom-zoom; 05-24-2012, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Stock pp and fly with act 6 puck unsprung disk. It will cost you like 120 tops for the disk and just pay to resurface the fly. In the end you'll have a clutch setup able to hold 400+ HP and still have that stock clutch pedal feel. Old muscle car guys did this and I know there was a gold mx3 running that setup and last I heard he had over 500hp. Never broke a trans either unfilled he put a complete act clutch kit in.

Comment

I'd recommend staying away from 6 puck clutches lol, they can be reeeeally harsh on our cars. Full face with unsprung = smooth as a baby's bottom.

I had a stage 3 6 puck in my Protege, and a stage 2 full face in the 626...world of a difference. Protege felt like a race car, while the 626 felt like a responsive daily driver lol.
        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Yours was rough because you used the pp that came with the kit. I just got done saying the guy with the mx3 was running that setup I said and never broke a trans and the peal felt like stock.

Comment

I would avoid unsprung hub clutches, they transmit more vibrations through the driveline.
            2011 BMW 128i 6 Speed Manual -- dd
            1990 Protege 4WD 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by zoom-zoom View Post
              After doing some research, I've read its possible to "overclutch" a drivetrain. A clutch rated for 379 tq won't act right on a car that is only putting out 125/230 HP. I can, but I would rather not pay the 330$ for a clutch, so I doubt I'm going to touch a clutxhnet clutch.

I read here that someone said a klze/93+ 626/probe/mx-6 clutch will work, and have 10mm more friction surface, they had a g series transmission, but are the flywheels really the same minus the bolt pattern for the crank????

If anyone has actually tried it please let me know. There is a southbend clutch for the kl g series, but not the BP, and its rated 264 tq for about 200$.

From what I'm told, I need a clutch to match the transmission I'm using, so I need a g series clutch, I'm just really confused about whether or not a kl g series clutch will work with my drivetrain???? If it really is a viable option it seems like it would be an improvement.
              the KL clutch disc fits. infact i used a 4 cylinder g series pressure plate on my KL. if you get a 6 puck, use a stock pressure plate. it will still hold 300+ tq and have some slip between it and the disc.

the clutch "wont act right"? maybe in the case of centrifugal weighted pressure plates, but otherwise a clutch will act the same no matter the Tq until it exceeds its limits.
              Originally posted by nerd racing View Post
              I would avoid unsprung hub clutches, they transmit more vibrations through the driveline.
              sprung hub clutches when engaged as basically the same as an unsprung hub as those springs bottom out and dont move till you disengage the clutch. so while a unsrpung clutch may transfer more vibration during disengagment/engagement there is no other difference.

for note ive run/driven frequently plenty of 6 puck cars and aside from adjusting to the engagment they run great, take the abuse of stop and go slipping in traffic (sucks more for you, but the clutch will take alot longer to overheat vs organic)

Originally posted by night shadow View Post
              Stock pp and fly with act 6 puck unsprung disk. It will cost you like 120 tops for the disk and just pay to resurface the fly. In the end you'll have a clutch setup able to hold 400+ HP and still have that stock clutch pedal feel. Old muscle car guys did this and I know there was a gold mx3 running that setup and last I heard he had over 500hp. Never broke a trans either unfilled he put a complete act clutch kit in.
              he ran an mx3 fly rx7 6 puck unsprung and an oem pressure plate, after the last build he did have to move up to an HD PP and started breaking transmissions around then, all of them drag racing.
              Last edited by MD323; 05-25-2012, 09:43 AM.
              "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
              -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
              *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
              172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
              New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

I agree and support your post Shawn lol
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Really appreciate the comments, I think I will try a kl clutch kit. It sounds too good to be true, but I think I'm going to try it anyway. All I really need is the pressure plate and disk, I already have a resurfaced 1st gen LX flywheel with a new pilot bearing, and I have to use the t/o bearing for the capri cable clutch tranny, which I'm told is the same where it counts.

Soooo much internet lore, who wants to bet on if it will all go together or not lol..

Comment

I had an oem kl clutch on my klze, which held fine, the clutch spun with my KJ. I would go beefier than oem kl for over 200ft/lbs.

Edit: the clutch was new when I had it on the klze, never slipped. Probably 30k kms when it went on the KJ, slipped right away.
                    Last edited by DuRWooD; 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM.
                    sigpic
                    1992 Familia GT-X
                    1988 323 GTX
                    2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                    2014 Civic Touring

Comment

I run the heavist duty act fulldisc sprunghub clutch n pp in both my cars and they hold up to rally abuse and the streetcar more'n 300 hp without shocki.g the glass trans too much.
                      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I ended up getting a stage 1 southbend clutch kit for a 93 626. The throwout.bearing and everything looks the same. We'll see how it holds up.

Comment

Working...
                        X