2nd Distributor quit!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Distributor quit!?

Picked up a 93 protege lx from a guy said "his mom was coming home from the tire store and it just quit".
    I saw that he had replaced the cap, rotor, wires and coil with new, all to no avail, and then he got into the distributor
    presumably to replace something inside it. He was done with the car at that point and that's when it became mine.
    I know from experience some distributors don't like being taken apart, and so I proceded
    pick up another (used) distributor instead, as well as another igniter, and another condenser at my local pick-n-pull.
    The igniter, and condenser were apparently still good, but when I replaced the distributor it started right up and has been starting (at least 15 times) and running very good for about 60 miles.
    Now this distributor has quit (I had a spare to verify this) again, the condenser and igniter work with the replacement distrib but Is there something else going on
    I'm unaware of, or need to know about that's causing the distibutors to fail or is this just a crappy coincidence?
    By the way, I originally swaped in another BP10 ecu before I tried the first replacement distrib, as well as checked for good grounding on everything, but once I determined the distributor was the final culpret, I did put the original BP10 ecu back in.
    I'm On my way to get another distributor tomorrow, hopefully for the last time.
    Last edited by iceracerdude; 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM.

Could be dumb luck, could be bad ground, specially engine ground.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I've done two other "BP conversions", one into a 90 323, the other into a 93 festiva, and both have been running for many many miles now.
      Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe I used both the exsisting igniters and condensers from those cars with the BP distributors that went in!

Comment

Bp disty= fail. Find an optical disty. It should last longer.
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I have an optical one for sale if he is interested. PM me.
          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
          "Who Dey"

Comment

This car is just a "quick fix it", and give it to a single Mom I know needs a car. I Did pick up a replacement disty today, swapped it in, and it started right up.
            Like I said, this one is already sold, but tell me about the optical distrib, I'd be interested to hear how your optical distributor is different from the optical distributor that on this lx right now!?
            Last edited by iceracerdude; 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X