80amp fusable link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80amp fusable link

Hi Guys, Latest kink I am trying to figure out with my 90 323. Someone put a big stereo in the car a while back, it has a real big amp behind back seat with a big woofer box. Well the car would not start, completely dead, no idiot lights on dash, but I did have headlights. With a little help of a mechanic and some blind luck, I figured out that it was the 80 amp main fusable link in the little black box on the drivers fender. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever put a fancy stereo in and had problems blowing that link? Now that I know the problem, I will keep a spare in the glovebox and know what to look for, but I would prefer not to be changing that in January when the snow is blowing sideways. It does have a separate large wire hooked up to the positive battery cable that runs to a switch on the dash to turn amp on. Thanks Bill

Never had a problem with that. Stereo amps should have their own fuse inline on the battery main power feed wire. Possible someone boosted the car and reversed the cables by mistake. That would pop that fuse for sure
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

I just re read your post. Positive wire from the battery to the amp should not have a switch. Inline fuse yes. Remote wire from the deck to the amp is what turns the amp on. So it sounds to me like the amp is rigged up wrong
      91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

The guy who installed the amp ran a thick red wire from the positive post on the battery to a real nice switch on the left side of the battery, it even has a blue light that lights up when you turn the amp on. If the switch is in the off position the radio just runs by itself and the speakers, one in each front door and the ones next to the back seat run, not much base. If you turn the switch on then the amp turns on and there is a big about twelve inch or so woofer in a box that takes up the whole area behind the back seat and then you have a lot of base. I actually don't think the radio and speakers sound that good, considering someone put a lot of work and money into it. I am only guessing this is why fusable link blew, he was running the rear window defroster also. The stereo could be hooked up wrong though, I really have never installed any amps like that, my son in college drives it and I would like to take the amp and stuff out, but he thinks it is pretty cool and I don't think I will talk him into removing it. Maybe I should consult a audio guy about it, I really don't have any guides with instructions or any paperwork because I didn't install it. I know the radio flashes Bluetooth and phone and stuff on the display, so I think it's a half way descent one. I thought someone might read this that has had problems blowing that 80 amp link. Thanks for the reply! Bill

Comment

Working...
        X