How to: Refurbish Intermediate Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Refurbish Intermediate Shaft

The one page the FSM gives for reassembling the intermediate shaft is okay but here is this thread anyway.

You should buy both seals, a new bearing, and a new axle snap ring.

3/4 Parts listed for google hax and convenience.

FOO2-25-744 ~$10

F002-25-742 ~$10

9960-68-2064 ~$40

You should get a new snap ring because you have to remove it anyway and it's likely that's the one it came with from the factory so it's 20 years old. Mine helped contribute to my sized assembly and snapped on separation, here's half of it still in the CV

With the axle separate from the shaft take a look at your seals, mine were trashed.

Actual Disassembly
    Remove the snap ring from the shaft, a pair of needle nose pliers or a flat head will work fine. Try not to damage shaft splines.

Set your assembly shaft side down in your press. You should have arbor plates that are designed almost perfectly for this.

The bearing might come out with the shaft, move a little, or not move at all.

Mine moved a bit, rust grease is best grease.

I needed to remove the smaller(CV side) seal to get my 32mm socket to fit in the bearing to press.

I just used a flat head and popped it out, this bent it and made it unusable. If you're planning on reusing your seals I would try and remove the seal after you get the bearing out.

Don't worry about the seal on the transmission side, it will come out when you press the bearing out.

I used the socket side of my 32mm axle nut socket to remove the old bearing. Yours may not tapper the same way as mine so use whatever works. If your haven't remove the the CV side seal the largest socket you could use would be about 22mm.

Setting up the plates for this is kinda hard. I used the same ones from the last press. You can hammer it out while in a vice if you can't get a good setup.

You now have everything disassembled, compare your new **** with your old ****.

Clean up all the old components you'll be reusing as well as your old bearing.

Get all the crud out of the splines.
    Also clean up any raised metal edges you may have on the CV side of the shaft. I had about 10 splines that were marred fairly badly and made lining up and sliding the CV on a pain. A cold chisel and a hammer work fine for this.

Test fit your axle to make sure it goes on the shaft smoothly. With no snap ring it should slide on with minimal effort and come off with slightly more. Once you're satisfied with assembly ease clean the splines again and the inside of the CV housing.

REASSEMBLY
    You can skip this step if you prefer as it's not technically proper
    LIGHTLY grease the outside of the bearing, it's a very tight press and excessive grease on the initial will just make it more difficult.

Because no one is going to have magic special service tools I use a three tier method to press the bearing in.

For the initial alignment press I use a flat peice of steel directly on the new bearing.

The initial pop in is the hardest part of this press and this makes it easier than using the old bearing as the press in. Press this down until the metal plate is flush against the housing.

This is about the amount of space you'll have after the first press. Put some grease in there.

Next take your old bearing and sandwich it between your metal plate and your new bearing. I didn't take a photo of this apparently. You should know what a sandwich look like.

Press this until about 1/2 the old bearing is in the housing. You CAN chance it and press it until it bottoms the new bearing out but I wouldn't trust getting the old bearing out.

This is the amount of space left to press after using the old bearing to about 1/2 it's height.

Drive the last bit with whatever you used to remove the original bearing or a socket that fits on the outside diameter of the bearing. While pressing a bearing from the center isn't optimal it should be low force at this point and it's infinitely better than pressing it from the bearing shield. The likely-hood you have a ~45mmsocket is also minimal.

Bearing fully seated.

Make sure it has the same amount of play as it did before you pressed it.

ALTERNATIVLY USE RYAN'S METHOD
    When pushing the bearing back in, you must ALWAYS use its outer race & never reinstall it flat as you did. If you do not have a proper tool to do so. cut the outer race of the original bearing in a slit & knock out the internals. this method will allow you to press the new bearing in to a fully seated position & still remove the original bearing race with ease.
    when you are pressing the halfshaft back in. again you must use the center shaft relief & support the Inner bearing race from underneath until the shaft is fully seated.

SEALS WHEN?
    Now to discuss the seals. the Transmission side seal needs to go around the shaft before you press it in the bearing if you still have the input shaft dust shield attached to the shaft(mine fell off at some point during the day I eventually found it.) If you've removed that it can go on after.

I'd recommend just having the seal loose on the shaft and not in it's place as it can be damaged while pressing the shaft in.

The CV side seal should be put on after the shaft is pressed in as it can be damaged during the last press. It needs to be put on before the axle snap ring is put on.

I had to cheat a bit and start the shaft in a vice with a rubber mallet.

I'd honestly recommend this for most people as setting the arbor plates so the half shaft mounting bracket is flat and the shaft presses straight is hard. You should just start with the vice/mallet and finish it off in the press.

Test fit your CV before you install the snap ring. make sure it looks and fits normally. You should be able to see any misalignment that would cause issue. Install the dust seals with lite hammer taps and a flat media to adsorb some of the impact. I also hit a few areas with a chisel to make sure it stays in place.

I install snap rings by pressing them open end towards the shaft with my left thumb and slightly prying one of the ends with a tiny flat head. If you use a tool to hold the ring be careful not to damage it or have it shoot out to god knows where. And once again mind the splines.

The new assembly will probably not spin as easily as the old bearing( unless your old one was really gone) but this is normal and will loosen up after some driving. As long as it spins uniformly it should be fine.

This is about a 3-5 hour job start to finish(From wheels on ground to wheels on ground). Depending on how you value your time it might be cheaper to have a shop replace the bearing and seal for you. If minimizing downtime is important a spare intermediate shaft could be sourced and refreshed and it would be a simple remove and replace.
    Last edited by Kitty; 12-13-2014, 10:45 PM.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Good writeup. Thanks, Kitty.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

NO NO NO NO & no. this is not proper by any means.

#1 never remove the Clip from the axle unless you absolutely have to (its a cunt to put back on or take off) [In this case you do not have to remove it]
      #2 NEVER EVER apply grease to the inside of the bearing retaining cage ONLY USE - permatex loctite or a retaining compound-or dry. but never grease.
      using grease will not make it any easier to install & it will allow the bearing to have rotational movement & destroy the bearing cage. (heating the bracket in the oven @200°F & putting the bearing in the freezer for awhile will make the combo easy as butter)
      #3- why you did not contact me for the bearing part number in advance & save yourself $30+ im not sure.
      #4 Replacing either of the seal plates is entirely optional & does nothing but decrease the size of your wallet in most instances. (more of a personal preference than a requirement)

proper procedure is to remove the inner seal-plate & slide it off of the halfshaft. ***examine the inside condition of the housing & the bearing***
      Press the halfshaft out of the bearing (using the center shaft relief)[failure to do this can/will marr or distort the splines of the shaft] you can do this between 2 arbor plates.
      If the the bearing moves with the shaft removal the bearing will come to rest on the face of the cage & then the shaft will drop right out of the bearing.
      optionally** after the shaft is removed you can go from inbetween the bearing & knock out the axle side seal plate to make the bearing removal easier.
      either using a cage lift (equal OD as the bearing cage bracket) or slipping the arbor plates open more will suffice to finish pushing the bearing out.

When pushing the bearing back in, you must ALWAYS use its outer race & never reinstall it flat as you did. If you do not have a proper tool to do so. cut the outer race of the original bearing in a slit & knock out the internals. this method will allow you to press the new bearing in to a fully seated position & still remove the original bearing race with ease.
      when you are pressing the halfshaft back in. again you must use the center shaft relief & support the Inner bearing race from underneath until the shaft is fully seated.

any other method of pressing the bearing or shaft in will undoubtedly damage the new bearing itself & greatly reduce the life expectancy of the new bearing

Consider this to heart & not as a reprimand. I've replaced countless halfshaft bearings & i know what does & does not work for this.
      Please edit your post accordingly to reflect the proper methodology in writing so others do not make the same clinical errors
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

#1 Its a $3 item and high mileage,you should replace it. The FSM says to replace it. Disregarding that I wouldn't want to be pressing it with it installed.

#2 Eh I'm going to disagree on this point for this application although it's procedurally correct. The bearing housing clearance is so minimal here that the outer race is pretty much removing metal when you press in/out the bearing. I'm not worried about it rotating. I don't like using any "locking" compound near a bearing as well,considering the seals and shaft will be greased it's reasonable to assume there would be a similar amount of grease eventually working it's way to the outer race.

#3 I've posted I needed to rebuild it on the BG thread. I don't need to bother people to save $20. I debated looking up the bearing number to find a direct supplier but decided most people would just prefer the convenience of guaranteed fitment and east of access.

#4 MUH $16 total in Seals! On a part that will last 200k miles if you replace them.Again, the FSM says to replace them. Would you reuse the ones i removed? Even if it's an economy car you don't need to be cheap

There is nothing wrong with flat pressing a bearing if it doesn't have a raised center race, which this bearing doesn't. Modding the old bearing is a good idea though, if you want to take the time to do it. Although I think the initial lining up/press could be more difficult using just the cut outside race due to possibility of something slipping or even the possibility of it expanding outward or compressing inward while being pressed. I'm unsure how sturdy it would be.

This is an infinitely better procedure than most people ,even shops, would do with full center pressing the bearing and more informative than the bloody fsm.

I think an "optimal" solution would be to thread a bolt into the old bearing and use that,sans bolt, to press the new one in and be sure you can remove it at the end of the process.

*Edit*
        I actually found a pic of the SST
        http://auctions.wing.c.yimg.jp/sim?f...=1&sr.fs=20000
        Last edited by Kitty; 12-13-2014, 10:30 PM.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

#1 Its not a wear item. there is no need to replace it unless it is physically damaged. Its a type of spring steel that is only under compression while pushing the axle into place or when removing the axle.
          its design is to act as a minor resistance for having the axle slip off in some exotic scenario. the relief in the axle cup is there so the ring has a place to return to its original state.
          pushing it out through the bearing is no different then installing/removing the axle itself.
          but go ahead & do whatever pleases you.

#2- Good practice with any bearing is not greasing it when installing. The same is true for wheel bearings (wait a minute.... this is in the same line of drive as them too.... hrmm... ironic)

#3 CP member services a whole whopping 2 pages long........... Intermeidate-shaft-rebuilds-and-various-bearings ............ All the way back from 2007 As much as I would like to- I can't read or see every post. im sorry I missed yours regarding this whole scenario I would have gladly offered advice/tips/help

#4 yes you don't need to be cheap- but realistically... we drive BG's & most people are cheap unfortunately.

I will agree with you, most shops would not properly assemble a bearing item (unless they had experience).

However this was not meant to be an argument. I merely wanted to point out what your writeup didn't properly express & give you an opportunity to edit them.
          A HOW-TO that gives poor advice has little value. (your pictures are neat & do give good insight tho)
          From experience I would be extremely surprised if your install lasted more than 15k as done improperly. If it does. then sweet great & good for you. IF not then maybe you'll give more credit to my advice.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I'm wasn't trying to be argumentative, and I did edit my post slightly to rectify that.

You're quite focused on that axle clip though. It's the first line item on the R&R in the FSM to remove it. I think it's a good idea to replace it. It's the cost of a fancy coffee. Also I can just imagine it flying off while pressing the shaft. Implausible, sure. But if anything does actually appear wrong with it or you damage it at some point in process, or you have a hard time separating the axle next time, you'll regret not spending $4.

I would be quite surprised if it failed at sub 15k to be honest I guess we'll fine out in a year or two.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

fail might be a hard term.
              having wear noise equal to that of a going out wheel bearing might better define things.

Ive seen the same happen with low grade halfshaft bearings despite perfect install. yours being OEM tho won't be a low grade bearing

Comment

Just commenting that this is an excellent right up. I've had some clucking noises when releasing the clutch and wasn't sure where it was coming from. I just took a look at my carrier bearing and it has a bunch of play. It looks like I will be replacing mine this week.

Comment

On a related note Ive rounded 10k and it's holding up just fine with no noise. Including separating it from the passenger axle on two occasions.

Which usually involves me hitting that general area with a big ass hammer.

I need to start throwing a rag over it when changing oil filters though as it had a bit of engine oil around the housing from the last oil change.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Well, I pulled mine apart and it isn't the bearing that is worn out. The inner CV is just loose on the splines. Did you have any play between the CV and the intermediate shaft? I'm going to get a new passenger side axle this weekend and see if it fits any tighter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Any play I've ever had in that area has always been in the bearing assembly.

Is the cv binding at full lock?

If it's not a new issue it might of not been fully seated on the half shaft.
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Working...
                      X