No announcement yet.

Jspec 4WD Trans Strength?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, this got lively. If these things where still a dime a dozen, I would be loading up on them and not care. My own rule of thumb for all my cars, I don't clutch dump, or really beat on em. I do speed shift on rare occasions, but found out on my first 323 turbo, its not the best idea. I'm thinking I'm just going to get this car to a reliable daily 300hp. On this car for a fun to work and back car, should be plenty for now. I don't know if I want to do the Toyota box swap as tempting as it sounds. But if I really end up pushing it, it will no doubt be inevitable.
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Sounds like you'll treat it well. If you drive it sensibly, and show it some respect, it should last you several years. Unless it's already toast when you get it.
      1990 Protege 4WD
      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
      ├┼┤
      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Since your power goal is 300+ whp you can go with the Toyota Rav 4wd gearbox instead of the longer ratio Celica gearbox, If you do opt for the Toyota box route.. The Rav ratio are almost as close as the Mazda box and the R4 box is good for 360whp without issues.

Comment

Only problem with the above is that swapping the box is such an enormous pain in the ass that by the time you are done it makes no sense to do anything other than turn the engine up to 11.
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by jay View Post
            Only problem with the above is that swapping the box is such an enormous pain in the ass that by the time you are done it makes no sense to do anything other than turn the engine up to 11.
            Wait, I thought you said there was a problem...
            1990 Protege 4WD
            GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

cubic money, all's ya needz.
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I have heard people say the G's are trash and that they have replaced 4 in one car.

I learned how to drive a stick in my Zx2.
                Smokey burnouts all day in the GT.

Not a single trans swap for me. I believe the killer is wheel hop. At that power though, the case will probably crack apart.

Comment

Working...
                X