Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission problems

Hello,

I have a 2003 protege lx and it will not shift into third gear. I checked the fluid and it was brown and spelled burnt. I changed the fluid and filter, then tested and the problem remained. I checked the fluid again and it was a light gray, so I changed the fluid again. I have read on line that the problem might be a solenoid, but don't know which one or how to check them. Does anyone have some suggestions?? Thanks.

Do you have a CEL or SES light on? There might be some codes that may help you out. So, does it start out in 1st gear? It might be in limp mode which could be 2nd.

The bad thing about automatic trannys is once the fluid is burnt, there's usually damage done to the friction materials which requires a complete rebuild to replace the bad parts and get all of the junk out of the system.

Another thing is you might want to post this in the correct year as this section only goes up to '94.

Comment

Searched the net and found this.

Mazda Protege - O/D (over drive) Light blinking what could be the problem 2002 protege 5 - I just purchased a 2002 mazda protege 5 auto trans The overdrive light keeps blinking, most of the time someimes it doesnt, but when it is blinking i feel harder shirts in the tranny and higher rpm is it a sensor problem or...

Comment

There is no light, and it starts out in first with no issues.

Comment

Try running some Seafoam Trans Tune through it and change the fluid and filter again. It helped mine immensely when it started acting up.

Comment

Working...
          X