Gearbox reassembly help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox reassembly help please

I've just finished drilling off a ring gear (harvesting JDM LSD) and have mounted it to my 323GT G series thinner ring gear (and smaller diameter) with some ARP nuts and bolts.

Now I'm reassembling the box. Every time I reassemble these is a fiasco. I thought I had it fine, then it sounds like reverse is clunking along slightly when testing some of the other gears.

Does anyone have any tips for reassembly?
    I try to just put everything in neutral - both selectors, then try to set up 5th-reverse so they're out of action. Is this correct?
    I ground down around the speedo in an effort to make sure the LSD was clear, just in case that was causing interference.

On the verge of taking to gearbox expert as I really can't stand them.
    AZ-3 1498cc B5ZET! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
    Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
    View Worklog

do the bolts clear the shifter gate?? have you opened it & inspected everything?
    pictures?
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will take a video/ photos of my reassembly process and hopefully you can spot what I'm doing wrong
      AZ-3 1498cc B5ZET! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
      View Worklog

Comment

Video:

Photos:

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
        View Worklog

Comment

all of the top of your ARP studs are ground down... did you do that? do they hit on the underside?
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

the youtube video is private, i can't see it.
            are you turning the input shaft before the cases are assembled?
            do you have the main shift bolt & reverse bolt in place before trying to shift gears?

Comment

I did as a precautionary measure, it's close but I don't believe it's my problem as the diff spins freely. Sorry video is just processing
              View Worklog

Comment

Never mind just worked it out! I'm an eejit! Had reverse sitting on top DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Last edited by marco; 08-10-2016, 01:59 PM.
                View Worklog

Comment

EASY fix! awesome! are you sure thats resolved your issues now?

Comment

HAHA I am elated! Yes its shifting lovely now, all spinning as expected, thanks for your help At last I can progress with the helical LSD madness!
                    View Worklog

Comment

Today I learned I know nothing about transmissions. Cool video.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
                      ClubProtege

Comment

Working...
                      X