No announcement yet.

miata pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might be a stupid question, I don't know a whole lot about engine internals.

Are the higher comp. pistions domed or something (I know that's one way to raise compression), and if that's the case, is that the reason for the possible clearance issues? (Though they seem to be fine for people running them)
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

Yes, I have 10.1 in my sohc. I have had a problem with idle though. I don't know why it would be related at all, just what I notice. I have 11.1's at the shop but I don't think they are a good idea. I think I will take advantage of mike323's ability to make cams, hopefully a more aggressive cam will compliment the head work, pistons, exhaust and intake. I just sold my PRM to mazdaracer though.
      I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

Comment

There is no clearance issues with putting 10:1 Miata pistons in the BP, be it a BP01 or BP05 (SOHC and DOHC respectively). The Miata that those pistons come out of has a non-interference engine. The pistons may be domed, but the valve relief areas in the pistons are the same and are at the same height, in relation to the wrist pin, as our 9:1 pistons.

Bryan
        MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
        Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

the 10:1s come out of the 94-97 miata right?

Comment

90-93 Protege pistons = 8.8:1
            94 Protege pistons = 9.0:1
            94-97 Miata Pistons = 9.0:1
            99-00 Miata pistons = 9.5:1
            01+ Miata pistons = 10.0:1

(Stolen from a Jesse post)
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

I don't know, I asked for 94-97 Miata pistons and they offered a couple different compression ratio's and over bores.
              I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

Comment

The 10:1 pistons are found in the 2001+ Miatas. The other bore sizes are for the rebuild kits. Most manufacturers provide a quarter over and half a mil over rebuild kit. If you were told any other sizes, they were most likely pistons from someone other than Mazda. I really wouldn't bother with sizes other than stock (with exception of the rebuild sizes). Just my opinion of course...
                Bryan
                MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
                  90-93 Protege pistons = 8.8:1
                  94 Protege pistons = 9.0:1
                  94-97 Miata Pistons = 9.0:1
                  99-00 Miata pistons = 9.5:1
                  01+ Miata pistons = 10.0:1

(Stolen from a Jesse post)

Weird, i always thought the 94-97 were 10:1 and the 01+ were 11:1.....im stupid What would even be the point of swappint 94-97 miata pistons then if the 94 pros came with the same cr pistons. Im sure you could aquire the 94 pro pistons for cheaper than the miata pistons.
                  Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProtegeLX
                    What would even be the point of swappint 94-97 miata pistons then if the 94 pros came with the same cr pistons. Im sure you could aquire the 94 pro pistons for cheaper than the miata pistons.
                    they're the same part number. How can you get one cheaper than the other?
                    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES
                    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

mike323, are you changing your price now? you told me 275 . not 200.

Comment

Originally posted by JRDbuilt
                        You do realize this thread is over two years old, right?
                        -------------------------
                        '91 LX
                        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

i didnt know that but it was a question. and by the way kick ass head lights identity X. are they custom?

Comment

2 years ago, they were only worth 200. now with inflation/increased demand they a re worth more

Comment

Originally posted by JRDbuilt
                              $200US back in 2003 was like $280Cdn. Today I need $320Cdn today therefore the price is $275US since the US dollar is closer to the Canadian dollar.
                              92 323 with BP DOHC
                              ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Working...
                              X