Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

d00d

Comment

guys, i can't even ****in believe we're debating exhaust diameters still... i don't feel like copying the entire ****in thread from protegeclub, but basic idea, get a 2 or 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent exhaust, if you can only get crushed bent, 2.25 will be closer to producing the gains you'd get from 2 inch mandrel bend. it's best to go to a muffler shop to do this kind of work. the pacesetter cat-back system tends to rust... blah blah blah
      peace

Comment

Originally posted by demoninvictus
        guys, i can't even ****in believe we're debating exhaust diameters still... i don't feel like copying the entire ****in thread from protegeclub, but basic idea, get a 2 or 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent exhaust, if you can only get crushed bent, 2.25 will be closer to producing the gains you'd get from 2 inch mandrel bend. it's best to go to a muffler shop to do this kind of work. the pacesetter cat-back system tends to rust... blah blah blah
        peace
        Last edited by charles; 09-22-2003, 05:20 PM.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

lol <3 the old vetrans :p

Comment

thanks god someone brought it over...
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
              the bigger the exhaust, the more power the car made.

Current Cars
              2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
              1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
              1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
              1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                The reduction in size will retain back pressure, keeping your mpg from going down the toilet too much [/B]

That's not what it does. Backpressure = always bad, no matter what. I'll wait to explain the entire theory on exhaust untill someone says "You're wrong!"
                Current Cars
                2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road

Comment

Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                  tru dat
                  Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
                  werd.
                  Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                  d00d
                  Well if that's not post whoring, I don't know what is...
                  ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

^^^^^
                    Total post whoring. QUIT fcuking posting just to boost your count. because of such things i believe post counts should be removed!!!

Originally posted by FineWine
                    That's not what it does. Backpressure = always bad, no matter what. I'll wait to explain the entire theory on exhaust untill someone says "You're wrong!"
                    An exaust's performance is a fuction if it's flow velocity vs it's mass flow rate. check out the tech artical's Jese posted an artical about such a thing.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                      An exaust's performance is a fuction if it's flow velocity vs it's mass flow rate. check out the tech artical's Jese posted an artical about such a thing.

::can't find the Im with stupid emoticon::
                      Current Cars

Past Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by FineWine
                        ::can't find the Im with stupid emoticon::
                        I updated the link above to work again, it contains some discussion and a mini-tech article is included

Here is one of Jesse's tech articles:

Also,
                        Last edited by charles; 09-22-2003, 05:24 PM.
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

loganology

: what this one?

and do enlighten us with your exaust theory

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Nope, bigger is better. A year or so ago, SCC or super street did a test on a stock j-body I think. They put a 2.25", 2.5", and 3" exhaust on the car, the bigger the exhaust, the more power the car made. Unfortunately they didn't post dyno plots, but the larger exhaust DID make more power.
                            That's a 2.4L motor... and without dyno plots, "more horsepower" means nothing. 1000 hp for 5 rpm is useless.
                            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                            -93 MR2, 129 ES
                            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Nope, bigger is better. A year or so ago, SCC or super street did a test on a stock j-body I think. They put a 2.25", 2.5", and 3" exhaust on the car, the bigger the exhaust, the more power the car made. Unfortunately they didn't post dyno plots, but the larger exhaust DID make more power.
                              hmm....on a turbo charge engine yes the bigger the better but on a n/a nope especially on a stock engine 2" is just perfect. When i say stock i meant headers, intake, wires. no nos,blower, turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
                                k I've done a little bit of reading. I'm assuming the resonator, oem muffler, and Catalytic converter are the most restrictive part of the exhaust.
                                so what I'm thinking of doing is:
                                1. Get rid of the cat and put a straight pipe in place of it or:
                                2. Take out the cat and gut it/take it to meineke and have them hollow it out so the 5/0 have nothing to bitch about.
                                3. Apexi N1 muffler (Nice tone, straight thru design)
                                4. Chuck the resonator.

I'll keep the piping until I'm ready for turbo. Until then, this will do.
                                tali mo shoes ko, here's wut i would suggest;
                                remove the cat, resonator and ur stock muffler. keep ur stock piping cuz there is no more restriction but dot put the n1 muffler bcuz its gonna be hella loud and annoying and if u live in cali u'll get pulled over everytime u step on ur gas pedal. Use a stock muffler from a vehicle with higher horsepower from wut ur engine have. (i.e. u have an lx which has 125hp use a acura integra w/ 140 or 170 hp stock muffler) this way it wont restrict the exhaust flow and at the same time u can still run ur car quiet whenever u want.

BUT PLEASE JUST GET RID OF UR RESONATOR AND STOCK MUFFLER USE A 2" PIPING AND GET UR N1 JUST DONT REMOVE THE CAT NO MORE. IM A SMOG TECH STUDENT AND ALL THAT HC,CO AND GASES THATS GOING TO THE ATMOSPHERE AINT KOOL AT ALL...

Comment

Working...
                                X