Engine swap question ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap question ??

I was at my local junkyard looking forany parts to use on 94 PRO DX 5 speed, I checked out two 626's, I'm not the car type like so many of you on this forum....I believe I say a 2.2 litre DOHC engine in one of those..Like I said not positive about that but if socoulditbe swapped into my pro.......I am going back tomorrow if it doesn't rain tomake sure about the details....but interested in the posibility...

DaPro
    94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
    (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

Its possible, but a big pain in the ass. Don't bother, you won't be satisfied with the results.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

not worth the trouble. i tried. waste of money, get a BP... better engine.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Like everyone else said, it's not worth it. Get the DOHC BP...
        Current Cars
        2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
        1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
        1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
        1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Or the 2.5 liter Dohc V6 KLze

Comment

I was actually gonna post about an engine swap too, but seeing this post, maybe someone can answer my similar question. I found a DOHC LX engine at a local junkyard (running the SOHC DX one now). What all do I need to buy, other than the engine, to make the swap? What parts can I retain from my current engine that will work on the LX engine? I know that with the DOHC engine I can get an RX7 VAF and a turbo eventually, but for now, I'd like to be able to do the engine swap, have everything work, and not have to buy anything I don't need (on a very tight budget). Thanks.
            I don't need a new car- this one still runs.

Mods to date (5.22.04): CAI, MSD Blaster SS coil, APC cone filter, 2" exhaust from manifold back, 3A Racing performance muffler w/7" tip, dashboard graphics, new gas tank (painted red).

Up Next: body kit, wing, paint, interior, sound system, short shifter

Future: engine swap, NOS

Comment

Let me clarify a little. I don't know what comes with the engine. All I know is they want $250 for the engine. What should I look for with the purchase? Should the engine have all the subsystems on it? Should it come with alternator, starter, etc...? I read that I'll need the tranny also, is that true? And is the ECU different, or usually packaged with the engine purchase? What does one normally get when buying a junkyard engine? Thanks.
              I don't need a new car- this one still runs.

Mods to date (5.22.04): CAI, MSD Blaster SS coil, APC cone filter, 2" exhaust from manifold back, 3A Racing performance muffler w/7" tip, dashboard graphics, new gas tank (painted red).

Up Next: body kit, wing, paint, interior, sound system, short shifter

Future: engine swap, NOS

Comment

Thanks for the replies, saved some money....Thanks ALL...
                DaPro
                94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
                (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

Comment

Working...
                X