X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading a 1.6L with turbo?!

Hi,

Have a few questioins for you guys...

A buddy of mine have bought a turbo which he`s putting in his engine without doing anything with his engine. He says that if you do no more than 0.5bar your engine should hold it without any changes. Does this hold up? If it doesn`t why not?

Why I ask is that I know a guy who can put a turbo in my car and since a engine swop probably would be more expensive since I have to change both engine, gearbox and a few more items....

I got a 1st gen 323 with an 1.6L 16v SOHC engine with 90BHP. With this turbo it may go up to 130-135

It's alot more complicated than just "puttin the turbo in the engine" your gonna need a new exhaust manifold, downpipe, all the oil and water lines and fittings, injectors probably, fuel pump, fuel management probably, guages, and quite a bit more probably. And if your engine isnt in good condition than its not gonna last very long, along with your tranny. Im sure you could find a B6T for cheaper than it would cost to turbo your engine. Ive seen em for like 500 complete with ecu harness and tranny.
    Eat ****.

Comment

Thanks for the input...

Well, I know there is more to do than just putting in the turbo, but there is a guy nearby here (in Norway) that can make a manifold and put this turbo in. With a low pressure on the turbo will my engine suffer with it or will it last? One guy I know ment that a turbo can increase the lifetime of the engine by getting more "cleaner" air in to it. Of course if you don`t over pressure it.

... and I live in Norway so getting a GTR or GTX engine is difficult and expensive...

Comment

can you read greman?

you could find some fun stuff in germany, that isn't too far
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Well, I did have some German at school so I can read some... Do you know any good sites?

Comment

Kaufen und verkaufen Sie Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Mode, Sammlerstücke, Sportartikel, Digitalkameras, Babyartikel, Gutscheine und vieles mehr bei eBay, dem weltweiten Online-Marktplatz.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Okey, I actually have located a 1.8 DOHC engine. The one with around 140BHP. It is in good condition, but what do I have to consider when swaping these engines?

Can I use my old 1.6 SOHC tranny and drive shafts? What about generator and starter? Will those old parts hold up? Don`t have that amount of money to spend on it so every savings will count

Is the 1.8 DOHC engine a good choice. A GTR or GTX engine would be great, but since I only have a 1.6L I have to do so many things to get it to work... breaks and so on....

Comment

yes, you can use your old tranny, you just cant be too hard on it.

you can even you most of your stock harness. you will need to add 2 wires to the harness(not hard) upgrade your fuel pump, and get the bp ecu
                i'm sure someone here will be willing to send you one for pretty cheap. it is pretty much the same swap as the B8me to bpze.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Fordfestiva.com forums has a few ppl who turbo'ed their SOHC 1.6 swapped in engines. I know a dood in MI who is running crazy boost on his 323 engine and it hauls ass. He got a custom manifold made for it too.
                  93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                  02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                  05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Working...
                  X