SOHC vs DOHC mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOHC vs DOHC mounting

Hi, I'm new to the forums, but not new to the game.
    My cousin and I recently finished converting his 626 DX into the GT model, and are now at work converting my '90 Protege 4WD into the 323 GTX/R. The first step is the DOHC. Using the Mazda workshop manual, I noticed both SOHC and DOHC have the what looks like the same 10 head mounting bolts. Can anyone confirm this by a visual?
    Thanks

BTW, if anyone needs any specs or info about 1990 Proteges, I've the book with everything.
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

the FSM?

yes, the actual block's are identical between the B8ME and the BPZE
    Last edited by Protoss; 04-26-2004, 12:42 AM.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

everything will bolt right up. Sounds like you have a wicked project ahead of you. Keep us posted.

Be carefull too, because the 4WD tranny isn't very strong. Your rear transfer case is, because it's the unit from the GTX. Your other option is to source out a GTX tranny.

Comment

Unfortunately the GTX is a locked tranny, meaning 4WD fulltime. I enjoy being able to grab the e-brake and not toasting components. My tranny has a viscous center diff, and an electronic locker. I'd hate to give that up just because I wanted a tranny to handle 200hp instead of 150hp.
        No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Sounded like you just wanted to swap the heads.

You can purchase a GTX engine if you wanted to also, comes with the turbo, or you can just swap in a BP and then do your own custom set up. I don't know if your planing on using the sohc internals but it sounds like it.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by almightybmw
            Unfortunately the GTX is a locked tranny, meaning 4WD fulltime. I enjoy being able to grab the e-brake and not toasting components. My tranny has a viscous center diff, and an electronic locker. I'd hate to give that up just because I wanted a tranny to handle 200hp instead of 150hp.
            You should just work on your left foot braking then.....

Comment

Working...
            X