Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator upgrade

I have a 91 323 BG hatch with the 1.6l sohc engine

I have the little 60 amp pos stock alternator, my lights dim at idle and that can't be good for it.

I would like to swap in a more powerful one

there is a 93-94 pro (1.8l dohc auto) in he nearby j-yard that every single power option you can get on it

does it have a more powerful alt than what I have?
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk

http://www.mazdaracer.wihandyman.com/V6ALT.html this is how to swap the mx-3 v-6 altenator swap its 90 amps
    i is dumb

Comment

ur 323 should have a 65amp alternator just like the proteges did
      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

The highest direct bolt on alternator I know of is the 4-cylinder MX3's which have a 70-amp.

I bet ya the newer Kia sephias which had the BP motors have even higher amp alternators (just a hunch i have).

As for the V6 alternators. If you can put a 90 amp from a MX3/MX6/Probe onto your car, then you can bolt on the 2.5 Millenia alternator which is good for 110amps..its the same thing just higher output. Word has it that the JDM KLZE eunos 800's had 130amp alternators, but I've yet to see that.
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

ya theres the v-6 alt swap but its for a 1.8. It might work I don't know the difference between the 1.6 and the 1.8

Comment

mazda mpv alternator v6 models...100-110 amps.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
              Sorry to muscle(hah!) in with my 2nd gen-ness but whould this fit a 97 then too?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

GM 1-wire alternator

Originally posted by bpt323
                I'm going to be fabricating some brackets to swap my stock alternator with a GM 1-wire. It'll be a tight fit, but i think i can get it in there. The alternator I have is a 95 amp, which isn't anywhere close to what i NEED, bit it's better than my stock 65 amp, and it'll give me the mounting i need to a larger one when i find it.

When i get it done, i'll post some pics and I can reproduce the brackets if anybody is interested.

Comment

1st and second gen motors shouldn't be different that i know of at least... but then again im a 1st gen guru
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by skr33t_rac3r
                    http://www.mazdaracer.wihandyman.com/V6ALT.html this is how to swap the mx-3 v-6 altenator swap its 90 amps
                    this link is dead.... any other pages on higher output alternator swaps?
                    any pros and cons you guys know of when doing that?
                    i read that if underdrive pulleys are swapped for lighter aftermarket ones it would be sensible to upgrade the alt.
                    would i need to fabricate anything to fit a millenia or mpv v6 alt. on a BP motor?
                    Ex-Officer: INTENSE Performance Mazda Club of South Florida

JDM nut & AutoXer: 1992 Blaze Red Mazda 323 S
                    262,000 miles and kickin... and got some wicked new goodies recently...

BP Engine Build: Soon... Engine on the garage floor, parts on order

"Ever seen a 323 on Anthracite 17" OZ Superleggeras?!?!
                    ...... and more importantly ever seen one with matching 15" Superleggeras for Autox??"

Comment

Two year old links tend to fade away like a bad fart.....

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

maybe i should start a new thread huh?

...... and more importantly ever seen one with matching 15" Superleggeras for Autox??"

Comment

First try upgrading the wiring especially the grounds. The biggest alt in the world is not going to work properly unless the wiring is in top shape. Mazdas dont exactally have the best grounding system.
                          c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by mino3
                            I'm going to be fabricating some brackets to swap my stock alternator with a GM 1-wire. It'll be a tight fit, but i think i can get it in there. The alternator I have is a 95 amp, which isn't anywhere close to what i NEED, bit it's better than my stock 65 amp, and it'll give me the mounting i need to a larger one when i find it.

When i get it done, i'll post some pics and I can reproduce the brackets if anybody is interested.
                            I would definitly be interested in this. I have been thinking about this for months but dont have the proper tools to do this. Besides the 140 amp alt. would be sweet to install. Like a small power plant.
                            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

wouldn't 100A suffice.... what 140A alt are u looking at?

Comment

Working...
                              X