Another cam update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another cam update...

Ok, so I installed my cam gears to adjust my exhintake cam. As some of you might already know, I took my extra exhaust cam, and installed it as an intake cam. Because the cam phasing was a bit off, I was only getting power above 4000RPM. So I installed the first gear on the intake side on Monday, and set it to 4degrees advanced(8crank degrees), and it brought the powerband down nicely. Midrange is killer. It pulls ok before, but screams from 4000-redline. I installed the exhaust gear today(it rubbed against the back plate...you had this problem too, didn't you Jay? Did you get the Ultra TRs?), and retarded it 2 cam degrees. It's almost where it was before I installed the gears to begin with, ie too much overlap, and powerband is too high.

I've got dyno time on Thursday, so I'm going to see how everything turns out, and tune everything to where I want it. I'm assuming I'll advance the intake a tad more, and retard the exhaust some, to give me a nice powerband. I'll play with the RX7 AFM too. It's a nice little tuning tool, and hopefully Jay and I will get past the 130 barrier that everyone thought the stock computer had.....
    Attached Files

Excellent! Same exact adjustables i've got - even the color
    Interesting too that you're basically doing the same thing i'm doing - using an exhaust cam on the intake side. just with a different set of cams....

So what did you do with the seal plate? Were you able to tighten the bolts with it in the upmost position? The exhaust side was what gave me the trouble as well.
    Original owner: 1991 Protege LX (now w/SOHC) and a few more BG's ....

Comment

I just whacked, tapped and bent it til it stopped making the noise. I'm going to put the cover on after I'm done tuning it(no bling for me), so hopefully that doesn't cause a problem. If you play with your exhaust timing a bit, and bring up your powerband, I'm going to get the same cams. Back to the dyno Jay!

When I tune mine, I'm going to be concerned more with peak power, and won't see the low-RPM gains that you did. Then it'll be off to the track...15.4, here I come....

edit...and oh, Jay. What did you pay for your gears? I paid $600CDN. I thought someone said they were on sale, thinking I was going to get them for less, but that's what I had to pay. They're EXCELLENT cam gears though. Super light, accurate and they have 5 bolts. I was told they were the only two left in Canada for the BP....
      Last edited by Gen1GT; 07-10-2004, 07:04 PM.

Comment

got them for ~$375 a few years back. and back to the dyno?!? another $267us?! perhaps.... i'm tempted to see what i can gain on the high-end. i will say this, though, i wish there were more protege owners dyno tuning. it can't be ALL up to me! of course i know that you and a few others have also dynoed their mods(and ARE going to do more); but compared to the SR20, B18+16 community's, there's next to nobody experimenting with our motors! and that's a shame as i personally feel its got great potential.....

bty i'm envious of your engine compartment - you have monster space to work with the timing belt!!
        Last edited by naprotejay; 07-10-2004, 08:15 PM.

Comment

You two are the kings of good N/A tuning... Good work
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Oh ya, my engine bay is practially empty. I've also dynoed every mod I've done. 3 separate occasions, and another on Thursday. It only costs $75CDN though, which would be like $50US. That sucks that it costs so much there. Where do you live, and what kind of dyno is it?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gen1GT
              Oh ya, my engine bay is practially empty. I've also dynoed every mod I've done. 3 separate occasions, and another on Thursday. It only costs $75CDN though, which would be like $50US. That sucks that it costs so much there. Where do you live, and what kind of dyno is it?
              that's a killer price - i'm in the seattle area, the only close dyno shop (dynojet) charges $95 PLUS $75 per hour if tuning...

Comment

Gah! No way. It's just $75CDN(which is like $55US), INCLUDING tuning. He'll even let you go over an hour, and no extra charge...

Comment

Working...
                X