1st Gen door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Gen door panels

I have the crappy DX power-nothing door panels... the driver's side is breaking and they look terrible anyway. I would like to convert to some nicer panels but I am sharing the car with my GF right now, and she doesn't like power windows, so I'd like to keep the manual windows. I really like the panels from the 93/94 models:

Sorry Marc for stealing the pic without asking

What I'm wondering is did they make panels like this with manual windows? If not I'll just deal with what I have until I can do the power conversion, but I just thought I'd check and see what my options are. I saw the DX doors from a 93 and they looked the same as mine, but did they make an LX without power, or maybe in Canada they had something different?

Im thinking that that style door panel did not come with manual windows, because Im also pretty sure that style only came on the LX which has power windows. So basically you would also have to switch to power windows to get those panels.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

why not get really creative, and use the window switch as a power door lock switch for the passenger, then make a hole for the manual window crank and go from there.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

install a power window kit on your manual windows. It leaves your manual window lever in place and works great. My buddy has one on his accent and it works good
        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I hate the way the panels look now though, I'm more concerned about the door panels than the windows. But out of curiousity, do you mean that you can roll the window up manually as well as using the switch?

Comment

I guess just get a door pannels and cut out for the manual window levers. Though if you do switch to power then you'll need to redo the holes.
            Sorry but all LXs had power windows.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
            On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
            My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

I remember seeing something on cardomain about this guy that did that. He filled the holes with those small round lights like the ones trucks have for the liscense plates.

he called it an accessory light or something and put the switches under the e-brake. I remember seeing that page a LONG ass time ago.

Comment

Filling the holes wouldn't be that big a deal, I'm sure I could get a plug... but from the looks of it the newer door panel sits out farther from the door itself so there might be an issue with crank stem not reaching far enough. But I can figure something out. Thanks for the help, guys!

Comment

you could always tell (er, ask her nicely, i mean) to deal with it...

seems like a lot of hassle to mod a door panel when a compromise would be a better idea, be it you wait til you don't share the car anymore, or she deals with the (in)convenience of power windows and a much nicer looking door panel...
                  justin
                  Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
                  installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                    But out of curiousity, do you mean that you can roll the window up manually as well as using the switch?
                    I am curious as well if this would work. I dont think it would.

Comment

Originally posted by sixhex
                      you could always tell (er, ask her nicely, i mean) to deal with it...

seems like a lot of hassle to mod a door panel when a compromise would be a better idea, be it you wait til you don't share the car anymore, or she deals with the (in)convenience of power windows and a much nicer looking door panel...
                      I was planning on just waiting till we're not sharing anymore.

Comment

I have the crappy DX power-nothing door panels... the driver's side is breaking and they look terrible anyway. I would like to convert to some nicer panels but I am sharing the car with my GF right now, and she doesn't like power windows, so I'd like to keep the manual windows. I really like the panels from the 93/94 models...
                        Mine is a '92 and I have those door panels... Melissa has the other style in her '91 LX though.
                        '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                        '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                        '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                        '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                        '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                        '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

I wasn't exactly sure what years had what... I was trying to figure it out just by looking on cardomain.

Comment

I have the crappy DX power-nothing door panels... the driver's side is breaking and they look terrible anyway. I would like to convert to some nicer panels but I am sharing the car with my GF right now, and she doesn't like power windows, so I'd like to keep the manual windows. I really like the panels from the 93/94 models:

What I'm wondering is did they make panels like this with manual windows? If not I'll just deal with what I have until I can do the power conversion, but I just thought I'd check and see what my options are. I saw the DX doors from a 93 and they looked the same as mine, but did they make an LX without power, or maybe in Canada they had something different?
                            I have a 90 LX that has manual windows, it also has the nice LX door panels.
                            only 90 model year LX's came with the option of getting power windows. I have seen one other 90 LX without power windows. 90-91 first design, 92-94 I have seen differences in these years, different cloth colors and textures.
                            Last edited by BP18Protege; 12-10-2004, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X