Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Meter hood" piece removal

Howdy,

One of the swtiches in the black panel that surrounds the instrument cluster and encompasses the switch array flanking the steering column has broken, and needs attention.

The manual calls this piece the "meter hood" and shows five screws holding it in place; two underneath, one on the side, and two on top of the instrument panel. Is there anything on the side with the hazard switch/clock to be aware of?

Seems straightforward enough, but is there anything else to know? It appears the shroud around the signal/wiper stalks needs to come off as well, to provide enough clearance to allow the entire piece to be pulled rearward and separated.

I'm also assuming that each of the switches needs to be extracted from the rear, and can't just simply be pulled out from the front and removed from the panel, correct? That would have actually negated the need to mess with the panel at all.

Would appreciate any words of wisdom or tips on the matter.

The clamshell around the steering column has to come off, and the column lowered all the way down if you have tilt (remove the steering wheel if no tilt). Use a plastic pry bar to pop the panel off that has the flasher button in it and there will be another screw behind it. Then pop off the end cap on the left side (door must be open) and another screw will be there. Two screws on the bottom side of the top of the meter hood (you'll need a stubby screwdriver) and two more underneath. Then it should pop away from the cluster. The switches all unplug from the backside, and once they are unplugged you can squeeze the tabs on the back and push them out through the front of the meter hood. I hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you, sir, it certainly does help. It's an LX, so it does have the tilt column.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the real challenge will be successfully sourcing a replacement A/C switch, which is the one that has failed. Dealer reports that it has been retired, and no stock in the U.S.

Online search results don't reveal many options, or alternative sources.

Local salvage yards have a couple BGs, but I'm not certain if they're still in the yard, or haven't been picked over. Was A/C even a standard or common feature?

Comment

I think A/C was a dealer option on base models and standard on LX models. I've honestly never seen a BG without A/C, so it should be an easy part to source if you can find a BG in a junk yard. I've had luck asking for help recently in the Club Protege Facebook group.

Comment

Thanks again.

Luckily, the electronic part of the switch is still functional, only the mechanical housing is broken, so it's still livable, if inconvenient.

Comment

Working...
          X