Should I do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I do it?

Ok, as we all know getting a paint job aint cheap. Especially here in Cali. The estimate price for my stock paint job will run me $900 out the door and this is not fixing the lil dings here and there. I'll have to fix those myself but the dent that I have on the passenger side, they will fix it.

Here's what I've been thinking of doing. Since most of the passenger side has already been primered flat black do you guys think it'll be better off if I flat black the entire car untill I have the funds to pay for the paint job or do I just leave it alone?

O yeah, the reason why I got the passenger side damaged fixed was because this guy driving around the neighborhood asked me if I want to get my dents fix for $80 so I went for it. At a shop they will charge me $300 just to get the dent fix.

kinda like UDARMY's 323 before...

Comment

Do you know how much it would cost to paint it MP3 blue? I love that color. I want to do that to mine.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

That gray looks really good... now if only painted a pin-up girl on the fender and 20 X-ed out honda symbols on the door, they would have a good "fighter pilot" motif going...

Comment

$900 for a paint job??? i was quoted at over $2000 for stock color with a clearcoat...**** that....**** man for $900 get it painted! and btw what springs are on the grey car to make it so ****ing low?
          91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
          Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

DUDE!!!!!!!!!! what the **** happened to your car.... why is the passenger side ****ed?
            i sure as hell hope you got some money out of that.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

paint it yourself!!!! Thats what I did and it turned out like e****...asking anyone who's seen my car in person.

I got new paint and i'm in teh process of prepping it again to paint properly. Found out the reason my **** ****ed up so bad...atomization of the nozzle was set WAY wrong and caused the spray to be too coarse

Seriously....spraying urself isnt' necessarily cheaper, but you'll learn a valuable skill. If you don't already have an airtank, then it might not be worth it tho. I paid about 500 for the paint & supplies & paintgun, air dryer filter (for airtank) and the water trap (for airtank) as well as an air powered dual-action sander. Paint ran me 185, sandpaper & prep materials probably cost about 70 and the rest cost the remainder.
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
                paint it yourself!!!! Thats what I did and it turned out like e****...asking anyone who's seen my car in person.

I got new paint and i'm in teh process of prepping it again to paint properly. Found out the reason my **** ****ed up so bad...atomization of the nozzle was set WAY wrong and caused the spray to be too coarse

Seriously....spraying urself isnt' necessarily cheaper, but you'll learn a valuable skill. If you don't already have an airtank, then it might not be worth it tho. I paid about 500 for the paint & supplies & paintgun, air dryer filter (for airtank) and the water trap (for airtank) as well as an air powered dual-action sander. Paint ran me 185, sandpaper & prep materials probably cost about 70 and the rest cost the remainder.
                What would the cost for supplies have been if you already had the tank? I have a 33 gallon tank with a 6hp compressor...
                '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

You can't just primer it and paint it like that, primer is important only on bare metal or putty, at the paint shop, they won't primer your car before painting it, they just sand it at p500 dry or p600 with water base coat it and clear it (or urethane it only) paint is opaque enough that you don't need primer, and primer have to be sanded anyway (as well as the surface you apply the primer on). Thrust me, body is what i study in.

edit: Oh yeah and if you sand and mask it yourself you can save some money
                  Last edited by cerian_ca; 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM.

Comment

my buddy and i painted his car....the paint is now pealing 3months down the road b/c we didnt primer it....we thought the same thing....oh if we dont sand to the mettal we dont need to primer it.....you can peal the paint and clear coat off of his car and its like we never painted it...
                    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.