That ugly 3rd brake light!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That ugly 3rd brake light!

I'll be painting my hatch later on and I have the oppotunity to make some changes. So, does anyone know if a car cannot have a 3rd brake light and still ne legal to drive without harassment from the police? I want to remove it, fill the holes, and have that JDM look to compliment future spoilers with LEDs.

2nd: What does it mean "shaved" and how can I do that. I have to fill the two screw holes.

My third brake light's been off for ages now, and cops haven't stoppe dme ever because of it. In fact, there are quite a few cars out there that don't have a third brake light, mostly old ones.
    The shaved look means, as you guessed it, filling up the two screw holes and the big gap after removing the center brake light. I've yet to do this, but will eventually, as the retarded bulb continues to melt off the support for it, not to mention the goofy plastic material they're made off is incredibly fragile.

Comment

I don't have a hatch, but I just took the 3rd brake light out of my sedan, and don't plan on putting an LED spolier on.

I'm going to just use the EDM rear panel, tint the windows, and call it good.

Comment

I didn't realise that whole was so big!!
        Never mind. It'll have to stay!

Comment

tekno assuming your in texas yes it is legal without it there. and to get rid of the whole cover it with fiber glass isnt hard to do at all.
          mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

It's still legal. and it's not that big.

First, measure and trace the hole out on a piece of paper, then tape it to a piece of cardboard.

next, cut out a rectangle with about a 1/8" margin on each side of the stencil you just made.

poke 2 holes on each end of your stencil.

thread some plastic tubing or plastic cord through it.

superglue and use fiberglass resin on the top of the stencil, and put it inside the hole. then, pull on it so that the stencil completely covers the gap.

let it dry.

cut out pieces of fiberglass weave sheets and mix with resin.

apply to hole.

then use metal glaze to cover up the small nooks n' crannies from the weave pattern.

sand away.

primer.

paint.

done.

(BTW, i shaved mine, then i fabbed a pair of aluminum knuckle dusters to the back.

it looks sweet. and the cops can't get you as long as it's permanent.)

'Cuz everyone knows kittens love turbos.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Knuckles
              BTW, i shaved mine, then i fabbed a pair of aluminum knuckle dusters to the back.

it looks sweet. and the cops can't get you as long as it's permanent.
              Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                Pics?
                in a week... i haven't taken my camera to the shop to get developed.

(Don't worry i will update my sig with pics and make a thread about the car once i think it's post worthy.)

Comment

Sorry but what the heck is a knuckle duster ?
                  c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
                    Sorry but what the heck is a knuckle duster ?
                    Brass knuckles = thingies you put on your hand to smash a person's face in.

Knuckle dusters = slang term used for Brass knuckles, but are now used as a term for knuckles of weaker metals or plastics.

Since i'm using lightweight aluminum knuckles instead of brass ones (since 2-way emblem tape won't hold a heavy brass one for too long...) i went with a aluminum one that i hit with a grinder and later 150 grit to make one end flush and coarse for better adhesion.

Comment

Working...
                    X