Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold handle to lock door mod

I'm new here so bear with me

I have a 93 protege dx and I just got a kit to switch it to power locks. While I'm installing the actuators I was going to go ahead and try to change whatever makes it so you have to hold the handle while you lock and shut the door. I do not want to have to hold the handle while shutting the door. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this or if anybody knows what mechanism causes you to have to do this.

Any feedback or help would be appreciated, I was going to start trying to installing tomorrow but the weather might not permit it.

btw, Lots of useful info on this forum, you guys are great

im with you, i hate holding that damn handle up
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED View Post
      im with you, i hate holding that damn handle up
      yea, i guess the best thing will be to look at it tomorrow and see if i can figure out a way. the next best idea is keyless entry i guess

Comment

What kit did you get? That sucks it doesnt come with keyless entry. Im looking at a kit thats 4 dr power locks/alarm/keyless entry for ~$100.

Comment

Just close all the doors and lock the driver door with the key from outside.
          1990 Protege 4WD
          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
          ├┼┤
          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Thats worse than having to hold the handle. lol

Comment

when I installed my power lock actuators I just attached them to the lock rod and it worked fine I didnt have to hold the handle anymore!
              Fully kitted, Sparco seats, 17 inch AR rims, JDM parts to the MAX, Dropped 2 inchs, 10.1 inch MX3 GS big brake, Custom Copper paint, CF Hood, RESIDENT MAZDA PARTS GUY! I Work For Agincourt Mazda

Comment

Originally posted by colins323 View Post
                when I installed my power lock actuators I just attached them to the lock rod and it worked fine I didnt have to hold the handle anymore!
                oh really? that's interesting.

It kind of raining outside but there's breaks of sun, I'm trying to decide if I should go take a look.

I got some cheapo kit on ebay. It was only 40 bucks. It has 2 five wire actuators and 2 two wire actuators. So the two front doors control the rest. If the actuators don't give out on me I think it's a pretty good deal.

edit: dang 100 bucks for alarm keyless and power locks?! i shoulda done that

Comment

So I'm halfway through the install i guess. The front doors were easy. The actuators lined up and everything and I tested them and they worked. Looking at the back doors, it looks like they'll be harder. The pole that pulls the lock is running the opposite way you would expect and the easiest way to mount the actuator is at a weird angle. I might have to give this another shot tomorrow. Also wiring to the back door will be harder because on the dx there isn't already a door joint boot.

I tried to figure out how to change the mechanism that makes you hold the handle while you shut the door, but i can't really figure it out. It's all inside the door so it's kind of hard to look at.

Comment

After doing holding the handle up why closing the door for years on all of our other Mazdas, it doesn't bother me at all...it's actually saved me a few times from locking the keys in my cars. That's what it's for.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

yes, but reminding other people is the annoying part. i usually just let them close the door, then lock it from the inside before i got out.

Comment

haha, i hate having to tell people "hold up the handle when you close the door" the response is always "huh?" Power locks with keyless makes it much easier.
                        sigpic
                        1990 EGT Turbo RIP
                        1995 EGT GTX RIP
                        1991 323 GTX swapped
                        2003.5 MSP

Comment

Originally posted by EricM View Post
                          yes, but reminding other people is the annoying part. i usually just let them close the door, then lock it from the inside before i got out.
                          yeah, that's why I got the power locks. In the short time i've had the car, the doors have been left onlocks about 4 or 5 times from other people riding in the car. At least with the power locks i can leave the responsibility to me to lock the door. I'll just wait until everybody shuts their door then, lock mine.

Comment

Originally posted by colins323 View Post
                            funny, after i finished the install, i dont' have to hold my driver handle either. weird thing is, i still have to hold the handle on the passanger side. i wonder what did it?

Comment

Working...
                            X