Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Properly Remove The Dash Piece Directly Above The Steering Wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Properly Remove The Dash Piece Directly Above The Steering Wheel?

I didn't find anything dealing with when I searched through the archive, so forgive if I missed something.

Me and may dad are trying to remove the dash piece right above the steering wheel so we can change the bulb behind the instrument cluster, but we are some trouble with it being stuck on the the right side, right where the clock is. We were wondering if there is some sort of locking mechanism there that prevents easy removal, or whether or not a good yank would do the trick.

Also, along the same line, what replacement bulbs will work in place of the stock one? We've tried searching around the net, but the part number yields us nothing in terms of results.

Thanks in advance guys

just drop the steering column. Its only 4 bolts itll take you 5 minutes...just look under the the cover thats behind the steering wheel.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, there is a screw that faces up on the underside of the trim on the right side.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
      On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
      My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

also, u have to flex the piece a little bit to get it above the steering wheel column, but take care!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

Any info on replacement bulbs though (Preferably not green) that will work without much hassle behind the instrument cluster?

Comment

really no way to get rid of all the green since the cluster is actually tinted green.
            you can remove the green "condoms" off the bulbs and that makes it a bit of a lighter green. from my experiments colored bulbs (red, blue, and purple) looked worse then a clear bulb because of the green tinting on the cluster.

93' 5spd DX
            R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by protégébob View Post
              really no way to get rid of all the green since the cluster is actually tinted green.
              you can remove the green "condoms" off the bulbs and that makes it a bit of a lighter green. from my experiments colored bulbs (red, blue, and purple) looked worse then a clear bulb because of the green tinting on the cluster.
              Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. Does anyone have the reverse glow clusters from Corksport installed on their car? what are they like in terms of visuals and installation?

Comment

Originally posted by invisiman View Post
                Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. Does anyone have the reverse glow clusters from Corksport installed on their car? what are they like in terms of visuals and installation?
                I've seen pics of these and they look really nice on our cars, I'm waiting to get a set of the Silver Euro Reverse gauges for my cluster. I replaced my bulbs with Blue bulbs and it didn't well, I used APC Blue Dyed bulbs and there is more Blue than Green, but it still looks Green in some areas of the cluster.

MrH.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X