Hood gap :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood gap :(

I'm getting ready to take the hood off of the 1st gen to get to work on it. Ever since I've owned it the hood doesnt sit flush at the top by the brackets.

I don't have a good pic to describe it.

I've tried
    -beating it with a rubber hammer and cloth
    -Putting weight on it over night in hopes it will force it down
    -rasing the front of the hood thinking it would lower the back thru magic.
    -allah?

But every time it sits flush after about 2-3 hood openings its back to being gappy. Its just very annoying to me. I would throw JY hood bracket on it but every junked bg has worse gap than my car or no hood at all to tell.

So does anyone one
    A:have this problem and
    B: Have a solution that I didnt list.

I mean I guess I could just keep beating it with a hammer everytime I open it but I supose this would be the best time to fix it.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Beat it with a hammer with the hood off.
    Do you even have a job anymore?
    I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
    |.....Overnight....................| ||
    |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
    |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
    "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
    Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Im eating lunch.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

me too.....
        I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

I just got done. nice #12 combo from Jimmy John's. Turkey, provolone, tomatoes, mayo, guacamole, sprouts, lettuce, on massive-thick wheat bread. friggin' tasty!!

never had that problem with any of my hoods. Maybe it got forced open too high at some point, bending things, so it won't go back to normal?

--sarge

Comment

sweet, factory hood spacers.

my dx does that too. if i push down on that area by hand, the hood will sit flush and stay, untill i open the hood and close it again. hood bolts are tight, never really tried to look into any further..
            DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

My BG does this as well. I'll be looking for a solution in the next few weeks.

Comment

Easy fix

1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

epic nom nom

Comment

go to the parts store and fork out $10's for Mr. Gasket hood pins....takes 15 min at the most

Comment

Originally posted by Rice'sRocket View Post
                      go to the parts store and fork out $10's for Mr. Gasket hood pins....takes 15 min at the most
                      You're not the brightest star in the sky.

Do you know what the term rear means?

Its kinda the opposite of front.

Also just in case the problem was related to the FRONT of the hood. Putting hood pins on a stock hood that isn't in a serious racing league is rice to the fullest.
                      Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

I had a 92 dx for a short period of time... it did the same thing and the issue i believe was the hinges were siezed up. I mean not litterally, the tq applied to the front of the hood to open was more than enough to easily open the hood it was just much more difficult than a properly working hinge... this stress on the hinge and mounting surface is what i was thinking the issue was.
                        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

That sounds possible. I supose if i can find a non-gappy hood I will grab the hindges off of it.
                          Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

That was what I saw happening too. i'm going down to the u-pull-it lot sometime and grabbing some better hinges.

Comment

Ya what Fazda said. Its the hood hinges seizing up and actually causing where the hinges mount to twist forward, hence the increased hood height. Just hit it with some wd40, pb blaster, liquid wrench, whatever your penetrating oil of choice is and just work the hood up and down. After its freed up get some grease in there.
                              -Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X